My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics
JensChickies

I just read your reply above to the poor woman with her very sick chicken. Poor things.. BOTH her AND the chicken I mean. It just literally broke my heart to see pictures of that poor little chicken!!! But she's taking such great care of her and I'm just praying she pulls through for her. I can see the love she has for her. She's just like me with my two!!! I also have a very sick 10yr old doggie that I've been nursing 24/7 since JANUARY when this nightmare began. I've been in our bedroom on this bed almost constantly here with him!!! I'm about to lose it already.. Lol But he is everything to me!!! I love him truly from my soul. I can't bear to lose him and pray and pray that God will give us a miracle and heal him so we can have more time together!!! Thank goodness at least my two kitties are fine!!! Lol
It's amazing that I've got not one but THREE "babies", all very sick at the same time isn't it? I keep asking WHAT DID I DO SO WRONG FOR THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME? Oh I'm just so stressed out to say the least.

But anyways, I didn't know about the hydrating part??? Gosh I've just been tubing the KayTee in her daily with the Baytril. I also add Nutri Drench (GREAT STUFF... it perks her right up!!) a 1cc of Calcium the vet ordered last time she was sick like this, AND I'm giving her some Nysyatin also!!! I know it sounds like so much, but she SEEMS to be improving!!! I mean I see her eating some already again and that's A HUGE plus!!! She does drink water.. I've seen her many times at the water bowl. She's not had anymore of that nasty stuff on her backside either today!!! So SOMETHING is working with what I'm giving her. Lol

I am VERY lucky to have a vet that we've used for 10 yrs now... since my little dog was born, and he therefore knows me well, hugs and kisses each time we see him etc etc, that kind of relationship. Almost like family at this point you know??? So he will give me just about anything I need for my boy as he knows I'm also a nurse and am pretty good at knowing how to handle my dogs medications etc etc by now!!! So all I have to do is call him and tell him Tai has some blood and leukocytes in his urine again and needs the Baytril (my boy has stones in his bladder and even some in his kidneys) and he'll get it for me and have it ready to pick up. So that's how I happened to have the Baytril. I didn't even KNOW that it was used to treat chickens until I did some research. Then much less about the FDA ban!!! But we won't go there cause I'm certain your views are EXACTLY as mine when it comes to that subject. I'm not going to sit back and say, "OK Livie I have medicine here that will or can save your life.. but sorry the FDA says I can't give it to you!!!" NOT!!! LOL

WELL.. i just wanted to chat at you as you sound like a very nice chicken mama too and I guess I really just wanted to say Hi and get to know you!!!
All the best!!!
Darlene

So. Thank you for replying. I'd finally received the supplies but they forgot to send syringes but that was when she was starting to not be able to stay awake. Her normal 6lbs is down to less than a pound and pharmacist st WalMart gave me 3 - 10ml syringes for now.
Husband and I made the leap and mixed up wheat germ, layer mix, infant vitams, cattle Vitamins, Greek yogurt and almond milk and were able to get 3 tube feedings at 20ml ea. That was yesterday. Today, we got in 3 at 30ml ea but. But her runs are back now that's were forcing her feed.

If I can't get her poops somewhat solid she won't stop flapping all her energy to get away from her runs that burn her.

I have finished her treatments now for worms, mites, vit deficiencies, electrolites, and am treating now for metal/iron poisoning and am out of options. Have tried her on someone's human antibiotics and cleared her bright green runs for the 1st 5of 10 days and they're back. Her fever came back when I stopped the human antibiotics but after 10days it wasn't curing what ever it is.
The constant head twitching has also returned but I've found a impression on her peralized legs middle class that suggests a possible hang up recently and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the rest.

Finally got word from an extension agent that they had nothing to prove his theory's but it could be "from symptoms" because nothing was conclusive... could be Mereks or Cancer.

Its not Mereks. I've had no problems with any of her siblings and more importantly... I had to take in 2 wild baby birds who have never been vaccinated for anything and they're ready for release soon. There's nothing contagious I'm sure. That said. I would still like to try Baytril. Nothing else from vitamins to electroliyes to calcium to magnesium to cilantro tonight for possible metal poisoning are helping...

If its a bacterial or fungal from the neighbors rotting cow field than I've found nothing that can cure it just everything that says remove the sources of fungal etc...

Were hanging in so far.
She's somewhere between 3-4 weeks with this and I think Baytril is her last hope unless someone recognized her symptoms and can offer something more.

Also, we did try starting the St Johns Wort last night. With the exception of waking up a little more and increased smelly diarrhea... there's no improvement.
This little Lady should have died a couple weeks ago and she's hanging on waiting for me to figure things out. She is just that precious.

This is my Lil Lady now. Only now I see her mouth looking strange tonight.
It only started tonight I think its so close to her end if my calories don't start helping her.
She's jaundice. I'm not sure if its because what I've given her or maybe what I haven't.
She's been "brighter" today with the push to 30ml x2 daily.

Tomorrow after work I will see if I can get something bigger.

Everything I've read from you all that have dealt with this before, says she should have been taking in so much more til I received my tubing supplies.

I have no clue how she is alive now. But, I know she shouldn't be alive except for her pur will... Tonight, she's panting and I'm not ready for what can follow.

I've raised so many animals and taken in all the neighbors rescues but this 1... this little lady is different. She's just so sweet and she wants nothing more than to cuddle with me that I don't know how I can loose her after loosing my son & husband. She's SO depending on me I pack her like I packed me blood babies...
Something So different with her than I've raised before. Maybe its because of her will or because its nearing a month... but she's not meant to die after this long.

This is my Lil Lady now. Only now I see her mouth looking strange tonight.
It only started tonight I think its so close to her end if my calories don't start helping her.
She's jaundice. I'm not sure if its because what I've given her or maybe what I haven't.
She's been "brighter" today with the push to 30ml x2 daily.

Tomorrow after work I will see if I can get something bigger.

Everything I've read from you all that have dealt with this before, says she should have been taking in so much more til I received my tubing supplies.

I have no clue how she is alive now. But, I know she shouldn't be alive except for her pur will... Tonight, she's panting and I'm not ready for what can follow.

I've raised so many animals and taken in all the neighbors rescues but this 1... this little lady is different. She's just so sweet and she wants nothing more than to cuddle with me that I don't know how I can loose her after loosing my son & husband. She's SO depending on me I pack her like I packed me blood babies...
Something So different with her than I've raised before. Maybe its because of her will or because its nearing a month... but she's not meant to die after this long.

Awww I'm sorry. I agree, she does look jaundice, not sure why. At this point all you can do is give her comfort care. And you should find comfort in knowing you have helped her by trying by trying everything you can. I lost my sweetest hen last January and it was the hardest thing I had to do was to say good bye. I literally tried everything on her, but unfortunately she wasn't pulling through. I will DM the link for baytril. I will help you figure out the dosing on it.

I'm the mean time, get some probiotics-you can use human ones if that's what you have- and when you tube her start giving probiotics. The Kaytee exact bird food will move through the tube easily. All the antibiotics/ workers has wiped out all the good bacteria in her gut, it needs to be replaced. That might help with diarrhea.

Last edited:
JensChickies

I just read your reply above to the poor woman with her very sick chicken. Poor things.. BOTH her AND the chicken I mean. It just literally broke my heart to see pictures of that poor little chicken!!! But she's taking such great care of her and I'm just praying she pulls through for her. I can see the love she has for her. She's just like me with my two!!! I also have a very sick 10yr old doggie that I've been nursing 24/7 since JANUARY when this nightmare began. I've been in our bedroom on this bed almost constantly here with him!!! I'm about to lose it already.. Lol But he is everything to me!!! I love him truly from my soul. I can't bear to lose him and pray and pray that God will give us a miracle and heal him so we can have more time together!!! Thank goodness at least my two kitties are fine!!! Lol
It's amazing that I've got not one but THREE "babies", all very sick at the same time isn't it? I keep asking WHAT DID I DO SO WRONG FOR THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME? Oh I'm just so stressed out to say the least.

But anyways, I didn't know about the hydrating part??? Gosh I've just been tubing the KayTee in her daily with the Baytril. I also add Nutri Drench (GREAT STUFF... it perks her right up!!) a 1cc of Calcium the vet ordered last time she was sick like this, AND I'm giving her some Nysyatin also!!! I know it sounds like so much, but she SEEMS to be improving!!! I mean I see her eating some already again and that's A HUGE plus!!! She does drink water.. I've seen her many times at the water bowl. She's not had anymore of that nasty stuff on her backside either today!!! So SOMETHING is working with what I'm giving her. Lol

I am VERY lucky to have a vet that we've used for 10 yrs now... since my little dog was born, and he therefore knows me well, hugs and kisses each time we see him etc etc, that kind of relationship. Almost like family at this point you know??? So he will give me just about anything I need for my boy as he knows I'm also a nurse and am pretty good at knowing how to handle my dogs medications etc etc by now!!! So all I have to do is call him and tell him Tai has some blood and leukocytes in his urine again and needs the Baytril (my boy has stones in his bladder and even some in his kidneys) and he'll get it for me and have it ready to pick up. So that's how I happened to have the Baytril. I didn't even KNOW that it was used to treat chickens until I did some research. Then much less about the FDA ban!!! But we won't go there cause I'm certain your views are EXACTLY as mine when it comes to that subject. I'm not going to sit back and say, "OK Livie I have medicine here that will or can save your life.. but sorry the FDA says I can't give it to you!!!" NOT!!! LOL

WELL.. i just wanted to chat at you as you sound like a very nice chicken mama too and I guess I really just wanted to say Hi and get to know you!!!
All the best!!!
Darlene

Darlene, it sounds like you are doing a great job, ypu hang in there. Your hen is probably hydrated, I would not worry. Her eating and drinking by herself is a great improvement. Yes baytril is banned in poultry, but unfortunately it is one of the best antibiotics for them. I have brought one of my hens back from the living dead with this antibiotic. But I use it carful, and not often, and is risk that I am willing to take though since my hens are pets and I will not eat them. Good luck with your other animals, I know that aging animals can be tough. I am a believer in the humane treatment of animals, so I will do more than most to make sure my animals are well taken care of. Good Luck!

Thank you for your response as well as your kindness. I too am the same and will do everything humanely possible to save or provide relief to an animal. Just look at what I'm doing with my little dog and that says it all!!! Lol Many think I'm crazy but I have no room in my life for people who have no compassion for animals!!! They feel, they love just like we do. In fact they love unconditionally.. show me a person that does that!!! That's why I prefer animals to MOST people sad as that may be!!!
All the best to you and yours!!!
D

Back
Top Bottom