My dog has started eating the eggs out of the nest

austif

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
After the hens lay their eggs, the dog goes to the nesting boxes and gets the eggs. When I get home, there are no eggs. How do I break her of doing this?

I dont think you can. I figure you must keep her out of the chicken coop. Its not hard to do.
I suppose you could put something in an egg that would make her sorry she ate it.. but I dont think Id like to do that to my dog.
My dog loves eggs and I give her the ones I find that are cracked or whatever, but she cant get into the coop. I know she would if she could, she just cant.

Thanks for the input. The chickens stay in the barn with the other animals. I have never had any trouble with the dog eating the eggs before last month. Maybe I should put up a temporary fence.

Yup.. I agree.. Once an egg sucker always an egg sucker.

My Standard Poodle and I have a deal. She is allowed one egg a day. She jumps the fence in to the coop, gets her egg, brings it back and shows it to me. I tell her its ok, and she gets her treat. Not all dogs stop at one, and most won't go get it and bring it to you to ask.
I would highly recomend not letting your dog around the chickens. once the eggs are ok.. she may move on to stage 2.

I would definately keep the dog away from the birds or make it so she can't get to the nest boxes. I have my nest boxes over wire. No critter is going to get into them with the wire there.

Ever heard the phrase. That will stop you from sucking eggs. Now you understand what those old farmers were talking about. Yep, it was usually death. My Corgi will take an egg right out of the collection bowl. Dogs love eggs, she is not mean or stupid. Just keep him out of the barn or coop. I think it is a difficult thing to get them to stop this.

as I said earlier, my dog loves eggs and I give t hem to her often. One day we had a funny occurance that I so wish I had put on film to save for everyone. I was collecting eggs and when I finished I had another chore to do and so I sat the egg basket on a picnic table that is near the coop. I looked away a minute and when I looked back there goes the dog with the whole basket of eggs and trotting very fast.
I had to stop and laugh after I ordered her to stop and stay. She sure thought it was her birthday or some other special day. She sat the basket down and went to her house to pout.
It was so funny...

Shoot the dog...seriously I was joking. You will not break a dog of eating eggs, putting a collar and chain is the reccomended suggestion or placing a baby gate up in the hen house door. Close your hens in to their run if you must keep the dog free.

In the old days they would just kill dogs that ate eggs. Also my dad tells me that back in the day they would burn their noses. It's crazy what used to be acceptable in society compared to now. I have this problem too, and it's impossible to break. I filled a couple of eggs with hot sauce and vinegar and the dog just broke them open rolled them on the grass and ate the shells. Now every egg she gets she breaks open first. I caught her red handed and put her on the crate a couple of hours and still. The next day she went straight for the eggs. It's impossible to get the hens to lay inside the fenced area since they are free range and I don't want to take that away from them.

Back
Top Bottom