My Dog wants to eat my chickens. She has predator eyes for them.

Thanx for this thread.
I'm getting adult hens soon, but I have a miniature schnauzer whom is obsessed with anything that moves! It's in her nature to chase movement. I initially thought I'd buy chickens so if she grew up with them she'd have the tendency to protect them BUT I've chosen to buy 1yr old hens in the hope that their size will "deter" her.
She's been in contact with hens before & so I already know how she loves to chase them, she gets excited by the noise they make (-it's like a "real-life squeaky toy") strange thing is, she never tries to eat/attack them. When the hen gives up and sits down, my dog simply rests her head on the chicken and just stays there, sometimes she even -what appears to me- cleans the hens surface for ticks with her teeth. I'm getting Ancona hens, which aparently are flighty & good to have in predator areas. Let's hope this works

Last edited:
I've read through this thread, it's a difficult situation. For me, I feel huskies, with all their energy and high pray drive... then on top how the female is acting, I would never feel safe leaving them alone together. The pack mentality, they are smart and sneaky, it's not a good mix. The leash and training her to ignore is a great suggestion, but I still wouldn't trust alone unless she has proved for a very very long time to be safe with them.... then I'd wait a little longer! Haha. We lucked out big time with our dog. She's amazing and anything smaller then her, she wants to protect and be the mommy, so when we got are ducks we had nothing to worry about. She's ten and has more then proven herself to be safe around other animals. Growing up my family tried to have feasents and quail. Are family dog killed them. We thought we had been able to train him to behave (we always had dogs and they were always trained, so it wasn't like we didn't know what we were doing) the second he had a window where he could get to them as we weren't there, they all were dead again. We learned the hard way. He just had high pray drive and could never be trusted alone. I'm sure there are some dogs that can be trained and trusted, but I really think some dogs never can be. They aren't bad, they just can't help it. Please keep us posted on how it goes with your training.

Back
Top Bottom