My duck dont want to eat and drink

newtoduck

Hatching
Dec 3, 2023
Help me please, my duck was so excited but now its not. My ducklings don't want to eat and drinks, its breathe heavily and make sound while breathing. He previously had a cold but now there is no snot coming out of his beak so I think he was ok but yesterday his condition getting worse. Here I take a video of him, thank you for helping me

Hi @newtoduck, welcome to BYC!
Would you be able to make a new video without the plane flying over? Because now we hear a very loud plane sound and the duckling not so much.. He definitely seems to have trouble breathing.

Could you look in his mouth, to see if something is stuck there? It looks like there are fluids in the corner of his bill..
Did you gave her water/food by a syringe by any chance?

You write, my ducklings are not eating and drinking. are they all this way? or just one?

@Miss Lydia

Please let us know what all you are feeding including treats and if you offer chick grit. Your duckling is def in distress and like @Stipenvierk said possibly something stuck in it's throat or mouth. You also mentioned it had a cold please explain what the symptoms were becasue if respiratory did you treat with anything? {Meds]
Are you in the USA?

:welcome
@Jenbirdee anything to add?

Last edited:
i agree with what’s been suggested so far , and also notice the duckling looks full cropped and as if heaving to vomit ,, so yes to me it looks like possiblya lack of grit and therefore needs grit - but how to get it in him at this point?

is there any possibility of taking him to a veterinarian?

Hi @newtoduck, welcome to BYC!
Would you be able to make a new video without the plane flying over? Because now we hear a very loud plane sound and the duckling not so much.. He definitely seems to have trouble breathing.

Could you look in his mouth, to see if something is stuck there? It looks like there are fluids in the corner of his bill..
Did you gave her water/food by a syringe by any chance?

You write, my ducklings are not eating and drinking. are they all this way? or just one?

@Miss Lydia[/USE
[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the plane noise, I give him food by putting some on its mouth and bringing his drinker closer, after swallowing the food he drank a little.

Nothing stuck on its mouth, the other duck is fine but this.
Please let us know what all you are feeding including treats and if you offer chick grit. Your duckling is def in distress and like @Stipenvierk said possibly something stuck in it's throat or mouth. You also mentioned it had a cold please explain what the symptoms were becasue if respiratory did you treat with anything? {Meds]
Are you in the USA?

:welcome
@Jenbirdee anything to add?
Yes he always eats chick grit and he loves papaya leaf.

I am not sure about the cold but mucus come out from its beak, but at that time he ate well. I think it went away slowly by letting him bathe in warm water and cleaning his own beak. Sadly I am not in USA, I am from Indonesia

Are you also feeding a feed for poultry? I just read how good papaya is for poultry but always make sure they have access to grit when feeding anything but a starter grower.
make sure food and water are always available up until 5-6 weeks of age then they can go over night with out both but never feed food without water they have to have water to wash their feed down. Hows the crop feel can you feel food in it? Hard or squishy?
How is the duckling today?

Back
Top Bottom