MeichaRenCoyle

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2023
Okay so my duck Marie is disabled but I don’t know why (btw Marie is a drake but I didn’t know when I named him) I will be sorting this post in sections so it’s easier to read.

Legs:
When we got Marie as a duckling he couldn’t walk for the first three months of his life. We massaged his legs everyday and eventually he could walk. He still has balance issues and can’t walk well on terrain that isn’t flat. He also falls on his butt a lot and falls backwards when he poops.

Intellect:
It sounds mean but he can be really dumb… it takes him multiple tries to get up, get out of the pool, walk through doors. Everything confuses him. He gets stuck a lot too, I check on him a lot through the day and he often gets stuck between objects (I can’t really get specific without explaining the layout of my backyard)

Duckling:
As a duckling he was very small and didn’t grow for months (he is fully grown now) he had the same issues as he does now with balance and intellect.

Water:
I think he’s scared of water because he hates getting into the pool and when I put him in there he immediately gets out but he needs to wash himself because he never figured out how to wax his wings. he can reach his oil gland but I just don’t think he knows it exists.

Fighting:
He can’t defend himself. My dachshund often picks on him because he’s slow and can’t defend himself (another reason of why I check on him so much) my oldest duck, Ludwig (sex undetermined) often has to defend him. I am extremely careful about not letting my dachshund near the ducks but sometimes it’s happens and he injures him. Marie won’t even fight back like drakes normally do or at least like my other ducks do.

And that’s all of the stuff I can think of right now but there’s a lot more strange things about him. We found out he and my other duck (from the same batch of eggs) were inbred but my other duck is perfectly fine. I’m worried he had a stroke when he hatched or was dropped on his head by the family we got him from.

I do all I can to support him but I could use some advice on more ways to help him and also what possible causes there are for these issues.

I’m sorry if I left any info out but I will answer questions if asked, thank you in advance. (also we only found out today he was a drake so sorry if I accidentally said she instead of he)

Last edited:
Okay so my duck Marie is disabled but I don’t know why (btw Marie is a drake but I didn’t know when I named him) I will be sorting this post in sections so it’s easier to read.

Legs:
When we got Marie as a duckling he couldn’t walk for the first three months of his life. We massaged his legs everyday and eventually he could walk. He still has balance issues and can’t walk well on terrain that isn’t flat. He also falls on his butt a lot and falls backwards when he poops.

Intellect:
It sounds mean but he can be really dumb… it takes him multiple tries to get up, get out of the pool, walk through doors. Everything confuses him. He gets stuck a lot too, I check on him a lot through the day and he often gets stuck between objects (I can’t really get specific without explaining the layout of my backyard)

Duckling:
As a duckling he was very small and didn’t grow for months (he is fully grown now) he had the same issues as he does now with balance and intellect.

Water:
I think he’s scared of water because he hates getting into the pool and when I put him in there he immediately gets out but he needs to wash himself because he never figured out how to wax his wings. he can reach his oil gland but I just don’t think he knows it exists.

Fighting:
He can’t defend himself. My dachshund often picks on him because he’s slow and can’t defend himself (another reason of why I check on him so much) my oldest duck, Ludwig (sex undetermined) often has to defend him. I am extremely careful about not letting my dachshund near the ducks but sometimes it’s happens and he injures him. Marie won’t even fight back like drakes normally do or at least like my other ducks do.

And that’s all of the stuff I can think of right now but there’s a lot more strange things about him. We found out he and my other duck (from the same batch of eggs) were inbred but my other duck is perfectly fine. I’m worried he had a stroke when he hatched or was dropped on his head by the family we got him from.

I do all I can to support him but I could use some advice on more ways to help him and also what possible causes there are for these issues.

I’m sorry if I left any info out but I will answer questions if asked, thank you in advance. (also we only found out today he was a drake so sorry if I accidentally said she instead of he)
What feed is he on? Have you supplemented or tried treating with niacin?

Whether the issue is caused by a niacin deficiency (which can end up causing deformity), neurological issues (causing confusion, falling, etc), or something else entirely, he doesn't have an issue with intellect. It's going to be a physical issue here

Could you get a photo of him so we can see how he stands? What breed is he?

While we wait for pictures or video I'd get him started on Liquid B Complex TSC carries, it will say injectable but we use it orally 1 ml over a small amount of treat so you know he gets the full dose.
I would also keep your dachshund away from Marie before he gets seriously hurt or killed. I have a dachshund and he has respect for the ducks but it wasn't always that way. They need to be trained to leave them alone. And I never let my ducks harass my dog either.

Last edited:

Legs:

Intellect:

Duckling:

Water:

Fighting:

He doesn't sound disabled or dumb. It sounds like he has a possible vitamin deficiency. Follow the others' advice: B complex, no dog. If the damage can be reversed, I'd continue to supplement niacin from now on. Poor fella.

Forgive me if this is info you already know and if you did this for Marie, but ducklings need niacin supplemented in order to grow properly. This is very important info to remember for future ducks.

Is Marie crested? I'm currently have neurological issues with a crested which sound a lot like this. I also have a hen named Frank and used to have a gander named Natasha. Gender bender names are pretty common here

Just prounce Marie with a French accent "Pierre Marie" is a male name!

Thank you for giving your little one extra tender loving care. I agree that niacin deficiency is likely and supplementing with niacin wont hurt!!!! My son's crested pekin female got very confused when he stopped giving her niacin at a year old. She has a very loud, cheeky personality and it was very aparent when she got confused and couldn't get out of the duck house -- not even following the others. She would get to the door and stop and then go back and spend hours pacing up and down the side shouting for her friends. They would come back for her but when she didn't follow, they eventually got tired and returned to ducky business outside the coop. We started the ducks back on brewer's yeast on their food [which they all love] and the confusion went away. My son is under threat of being beaten by his Mama if he stops the brewer's yeast again!

Could Marie possibly have a vision problem if you are doing everything else and nothing is working for him? It may sound strange but if he cannot judge distance as he should be able to because of his eye sight that would explain him getting stuck in places he should not. I hope you can figure out his problem soon. If the dog is allowed to chase him that also would make him get lodged in some places he normally would not out of fright.

Back
Top Bottom