My Duck is having seizures and going stiff

My duck is still having the episodes. She is drinking, but not eating. I have given her niacin and the save a chick mix. No big improvements. How much epsom salts do you use? There feed is okay. Any recommendations though on a good duck food to use?

Last edited:
Give us more information so we can try to help. Even if you've published it on another thread, sometimes I know I don't remember clearly everyone's details.

She's a mallard, how old? Is this the one who had a seizure while swimming?

How often are the seizures?
How long do they last?
Other ducks?
Goes outside?
Could have eaten something toxic?
What is the feed? Niacin deficiency?
Where are you keeping her right now?
Eating, drinking between seizures?
Describe poop?

hugs.gif

Give us more information so we can try to help.  Even if you've published it on another thread, sometimes I know I don't remember clearly everyone's details.

She's a mallard, how old?  Is this the one who had a seizure while swimming?  

How often are the seizures?
How long do they last?
Other ducks?
Goes outside?
Could have eaten something toxic?
What is the feed? Niacin deficiency?
Where are you keeping her right now?
Eating, drinking between seizures?
Describe poop?

:hugs
I'm not sure on the sex :( , but it's 6weeks old yes , perry was swimming ... Perry had maybe a total of 4 seziures since the one in the pool ... I have one other duckling quackers nothing is going on with him .. But the r on chick starter feed , they go outside every 4 hours to get sun , eat and drink water ... Perry poo today after the seziure was almost like water no color very clear :/ ... And barely tonight At 9 perry hasn't eaten and drank water .. I put perry in a separate kennel with a warmer to keep him warm ..

Two things I would do right away for little Perry,

Start adding niacin (plain, not no-flush or timed release, call around to drugstores, big box stores, GNC, health food stores, for example) 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water, depending on the kind of niacin capsules you find. Capsules can be opened and the contents poured into the water. If you cannot find niacin capsules, you can start putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking yeast) onto their food each day.

Meanwhile, I would try to get Perry some nutrition. Try dampening the food, thaw some frozen peas - - - has Perry had grit? Perry goes outside, has he been able to eat some good dirt? It is important that he have some grit in his tummy before giving him anything to eat besides crumbles or pelleted feed. If he has had some kind of grit, then treats like a few peas, a little shredded lettuce, just to get him eating. And I have poultry Nutri-drench I got at the feed store. You can put that in his water. It has a few vitamins and some calories in it.

hugs.gif

p.s. The niacin helps the nervous system. Some ducklings need more than others.

Last edited:
Two things I would do right away for little Perry,

Start adding niacin (plain, not no-flush or timed release, call around to drugstores, big box stores, GNC, health food stores, for example) 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water, depending on the kind of niacin capsules you find. Capsules can be opened and the contents poured into the water. If you cannot find niacin capsules, you can start putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking yeast) onto their food each day.

Meanwhile, I would try to get Perry some nutrition. Try dampening the food, thaw some frozen peas - - - has Perry had grit? Perry goes outside, has he been able to eat some good dirt? It is important that he have some grit in his tummy before giving him anything to eat besides crumbles or pelleted feed. If he has had some kind of grit, then treats like a few peas, a little shredded lettuce, just to get him eating. And I have poultry Nutri-drench I got at the feed store. You can put that in his water. It has a few vitamins and some calories in it.

hugs.gif

p.s. The niacin helps the nervous system. Some ducklings need more than others.
Along with the niacin Amiga has said to use, you could add 1 human Super B Complex vitamin to a gallon of water, rather than the regular multi. Anything neurological is going to respond to the B vitamins before the others so it is always a safe bet to start with them first. She is also very right with some ducks needing a lot more than others. It all comes down to how well the parent stock was cared for.

For anyone with seizures not caused by poisonings, add the Bs, you should see some kind of improvement within 3 days. It may be slight but it should be there. Do the Super B Complex for 3-4 days, whole human pill to 1 gal. of water. After that give the poultry vitamins with a 1/4 - 1/2 Super B in the same water for another 4-5 days. As Amiga already said, do what you can to get them to eat. Meal worms, peas, whatever. Another thing you could try is taking some regular scratch and BOSS, running it through a food processor with a bit of water to make a watery paste. The sunflower seeds are nutrition, the scratch is the candy coating. If the bird starts eating this you can add their regular feed to it and get them back to normal eating.

Along with the niacin Amiga has said to use, you could add 1 human Super B Complex vitamin to a gallon of water, rather than the regular multi. Anything neurological is going to respond to the B vitamins before the others so it is always a safe bet to start with them first. She is also very right with some ducks needing a lot more than others. It all comes down to how well the parent stock was cared for.

For anyone with seizures not caused by poisonings, add the Bs, you should see some kind of improvement within 3 days. It may be slight but it should be there. Do the Super B Complex for 3-4 days, whole human pill to 1 gal. of water. After that give the poultry vitamins with a 1/4 - 1/2 Super B in the same water for another 4-5 days. As Amiga already said, do what you can to get them to eat. Meal worms, peas, whatever. Another thing you could try is taking some regular scratch and BOSS, running it through a food processor with a bit of water to make a watery paste. The sunflower seeds are nutrition, the scratch is the candy coating. If the bird starts eating this you can add their regular feed to it and get them back to normal eating.
This is some good information - how to improve nutrition, and provide the vitamins to support the nervous system. And make yourself a cup of good tea, and keep working with the duckling.

This is some good information - how to improve nutrition, and provide the vitamins to support the nervous system.  And make yourself a cup of good tea, and keep working with the duckling.

Along with the niacin Amiga has said to use, you could add 1 human Super B Complex vitamin to a gallon of water, rather than the regular multi.  Anything neurological is going to respond to the B vitamins before the others so it is always a safe bet to start with them first.  She is also very right with some ducks needing a lot more than others.  It all comes down to how well the parent stock was cared for. 

For anyone with seizures not caused by poisonings, add the Bs, you should see some kind of improvement within 3 days.  It may be slight but it should be there.  Do the Super B Complex for 3-4 days, whole human pill to 1 gal. of water.  After that give the poultry vitamins with a 1/4 - 1/2 Super B in the same water for another 4-5 days.  As Amiga already said, do what you can to get them to eat.  Meal worms, peas, whatever.  Another thing you could try is taking some regular scratch and BOSS, running it through a food processor with a bit of water to make a watery paste.  The sunflower seeds are nutrition, the scratch is the candy coating.  If the bird starts eating this you can add their regular feed to it and get them back to normal eating.
Thank u both !! Ur information is sooo helpful I'm going to go today :) ... Perry is doing better he's actually eating and drink water I kept I'm warm and by himself .. Quackers was having separation anxiety lol so once I seen perry doing better I put them both together !!

Thank u both !! Ur information is sooo helpful I'm going to go today
smile.png
... Perry is doing better he's actually eating and drink water I kept I'm warm and by himself .. Quackers was having separation anxiety lol so once I seen perry doing better I put them both together !!
Oh, I am so relieved! Please update!

Back
Top Bottom