My duck is sick

Pecck

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2023
Hello and Happy New Year.

We have two ducks, one male and one female. Our male is perfectly healthy, two days ago we noticed our female (khaki campbell) who is two years old sitting low in the pool. She couldn’t get out and seemed to be water logged. Her feathers were very wet, the old saying water rolls
Off a ducks back wasn’t so true for her. She wasn’t as vocal as normal and when she would try to stretch her wings she would start, but would never fully expand her wings and flap. We’ve been keeping her out of the pool the best we can, but would love some advice. Our boy duck needs his girlfriend healthy. Thank you!

Can you bring her [and him if need be] into the hpuse or somewhere close by you? She really needs close observation to find put what is going on.

Is her preen glad blocked? Try warm wet compressesover the preen gland to soak out any gunk blockingthe duct.

She will need some time preening to make herself waterproof again

Is she eating normally? Is she well nourished or thin? Can you feel her breast bone? (There are puxtures on the internet that indicate what a normal and a too thin duck feel like . I can never feel my ducks breast bone which assume means they are the fat dumplings I think they are.

If she is eating but thin, she may need treating for alimentary parasites (worms in the gut). I prefer pyrantel for that as its very safe. Others use another dewormer (abendazole perhaps) as it has a boader spectrum and is effective against other duck parasites as well as alimentary worms. You might search this website for info on treating worms.

But your girls behavior might simply be as a result of bring chilled. So she should improve inside the wRmth of your home

Keep us updated on how she does.

If you're having winter temps I'd take the pool away until she is preening and has her oils spread over her feathers so she is waterproof. Chilling can cause other illnesses so best to keep her out of water. You can give her a rubber bowl with water so she can splash and preen.
Like @ruthhope said you might want to bring her in so you can monitor her eating drinking and pooping.
Give us an idea on what they eat and any supplements they are getting.
Adding some good quality protein can help with feather quality also. I use dry dog food since i have a small dog these are the perfect size for my poultry, also meal worms is another good source of protein.
What age are your ducks?

Can you bring her [and him if need be] into the hpuse or somewhere close by you? She really needs close observation to find put what is going on.

Is her preen glad blocked? Try warm wet compressesover the preen gland to soak out any gunk blockingthe duct.

She will need some time preening to make herself waterproof again

Is she eating normally? Is she well nourished or thin? Can you feel her breast bone? (There are puxtures on the internet that indicate what a normal and a too thin duck feel like . I can never feel my ducks breast bone which assume means they are the fat dumplings I think they are.

If she is eating but thin, she may need treating for alimentary parasites (worms in the gut). I prefer pyrantel for that as its very safe. Others use another dewormer (abendazole perhaps) as it has a boader spectrum and is effective against other duck parasites as well as alimentary worms. You might search this website for info on treating worms.

But your girls behavior might simply be as a result of bring chilled. So she should improve inside the wRmth of your home

Keep us updated on how she does.
Sorry for the late response. We gave her a warm bath using dawn, and am happy to report she is back to her typical self.

Thank you very much for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom