My duck's chin inflated?

nowifikris

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2022
Hello! English isnt my first language, so i'm very sorry if I wronged the title incredibly wrong or anything else in the post.

I have a male duck, around 3-5 months old, not sure of his breed but i'll add a photo of him.
I also have this female cat, and he follows her around and sometimes softly pecks her. He likes staring at her and after some time of watching, he softly pecks her

So today I was watching him stare at her, and I think they were playing cause he was trying to peck her paw and she was trying to, like, ""attack"" him with it, and I realized that when he stared at her his chin started to inflate, as if he was breathing, because it would act like ,, a chest? when inhaling and exhaling, and it freaked the shit out of me. Touched his chin and there seems to be nothing wrong, and he isnt doing it anymore I think, since this happened only like half an hour ago. My first though is that he's trying to court(not really sure if thats the word for it) her, but when searching up how ducks act when courting it doesnt seem to appear anything about their chins inflating. I asumed that he's trying to court her because i know that pigeons do something like that when courting ,, Should I be worried? or is he doing it because he's scared?
This is the only time I have seen him doing it, so yeah i'm a little worried
20221219_220119.jpg
(The female is the white one)
IMG_20221230_235631491.jpg

Very pretty duck, and I agree this is most probably a female. And yes, she is a Muscovy (the best kind of duck!).

She is probably just playing with her cat friend. Muscovy have many different mannerisms that can seem odd. Is she an only duck? I would seriously consider getting her a friend, they are very social creatures and need the company of others of their kind to thrive.

Very pretty duck, and I agree this is most probably a female. And yes, she is a Muscovy (the best kind of duck!).

She is probably just playing with her cat friend. Muscovy have many different mannerisms that can seem odd. Is she an only duck? I would seriously consider getting her a friend, they are very social creatures and need the company of others of their kind to thrive.
Thanks! I never actually thought of her being a female, the man who gave her to me told me that she was a male and we went with it. Yes, she's an only duck, but sadly i'm a minor and my mom doesnt want another duck. She knows that the duck needs a friend, but she totally refuses to get another one :(

Thanks! I never actually thought of her being a female, the man who gave her to me told me that she was a male and we went with it. Yes, she's an only duck, but sadly i'm a minor and my mom doesnt want another duck. She knows that the duck needs a friend, but she totally refuses to get another one :(
Then make the most of your girl -- keep her socialized with you and your family including the family cat. Better to have a lot of human stimulation than to be alone

Then make the most of your girl -- keep her socialized with you and your family including the family cat. Better to have a lot of human stimulation than to be alone
Yea, she haves lots of company! we have 2 cats and 3 dogs, and she gets alone pretty well with both of the cats. Shes almost never alone, if there isnt any human with her she's with our cats, and if the cats arent near her she's with me and/or my family. We're trying to get the dogs to interact without hurting her too, so she will also have them as company pretty soon

Make sure you supervise at all times when your duck is with the other animals. It only takes a second for something to happen.

How big is the duck? And the name so we can start stopping saying 'the duck' all the time, lol! Just to try to pin down a gender. Is it making little trilling sounds, or huffing and sort of hissing?

Oh yeah, I always try my best to not leave it completely alone with the cats! I dont really know how big it is, but this is compared to my hand
IMG_20230101_003346820.jpg

the name is Lucky! it doesnt quack yet, it makes these kind of "pururu" sound? If its necessary ill try to record it lol, It does sometimes makes a huffing sound, like, a heavy breathing one, but only when the cat shows up out of nowhere, and when it was younger it would do it when I got near, so I assumed that it makes that sound when its scared. Im pretty sure that i have never heard it do any trilling or hissing sound though
Happy new year by the way!

Last edited:
Yes, female. :) She is very lovely, and those little sounds is about as loud as she'll ever get! Muscovy are known as the 'quackless' ducks, although they aren't really ducks, not like the other breeds. They are a different species altogether and were first domesticated by the native South Americans. Here is a video of the soft sounds females make:

Happy New Year to you, too! Where are you from?

Back
Top Bottom