My ducks first spring!

Pics
It snowed here and is still snowing now...most of the ducks haven't seen snow before, so it was pretty funny to watch their reactions this morning. Most of the Muscovies charged out of the coop (as usual) and headed for breakfast, but three young ducks hung back and weren't sure about coming out. One poked her head out, even stepped out onto the ramp, but then turned around and went back in. The Runner/Pekin group came right out of their little coop, but mom (Runner) had to stop before she got around the corner - where breakfast was - to lie down and warm her feet.

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
ya.gif
Yeah their reactions are really funny to new things!
lol.png
They're like, what is this white stuff? Is it dangerous? I am going to touch it...(don't push me!)....Okay, here I go 1 2 3...It's, it's COLD!!!! Everyone quick back inside!!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

You have a gorgeous flock!
big_smile.png

Yeah their reactions are really funny to new things!
lol.png
They're like, what is this white stuff? Is it dangerous? I am going to touch it...(don't push me!)....Okay, here I go 1 2 3...It's, it's COLD!!!! Everyone quick back inside!!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

You have a gorgeous flock!
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
Thank you! And that's exactly it - they're suspicious and cautious, some definitely more than others. One duck seemed to really like eating it.

Some of the chickens didn't come out of the coop at breakfast time, either...and those that did mostly flew over the snow to where their breakfast was. While the flights were impressive, one didn't quite make it over the (fenced) compost pile and I had to go pull her out. Those poor sheltered birds. LOL!!

yuckyuck.gif
Thank you! And that's exactly it - they're suspicious and cautious, some definitely more than others. One duck seemed to really like eating it.

Some of the chickens didn't come out of the coop at breakfast time, either...and those that did mostly flew over the snow to where their breakfast was. While the flights were impressive, one didn't quite make it over the (fenced) compost pile and I had to go pull her out. Those poor sheltered birds. LOL!!
You're welcome! Yeah, one of my Mallard hens likes to eat ice!
th.gif

Poor chicken!

yuckyuck.gif

Aww poor thing got stuck.. None of my Runners or Buffs have seen snow and my OEGB's haven't So if we do finally get some snow it will be fun to watch their reaction.. So far nothing seems to stop those Runners. LOL I may have to keep my tiny bantams inside if we get more than a couple inches or I may need to dig them out .

I love those Pekin /Muscovy's they are so pretty and your lil Runner mama is pretty too.

My Muscovy's do not like winter.

Aww poor thing got stuck.. None of my Runners or Buffs have seen snow and my OEGB's haven't So if we do finally get some snow it will be fun to watch their reaction.. So far nothing seems to stop those Runners. LOL I may have to keep my tiny bantams inside if we get more than a couple inches or I may need to dig them out .

I love those Pekin /Muscovy's they are so pretty and your lil Runner mama is pretty too.

My Muscovy's do not like winter.

I hope you get some snow so we can see some pics of your flock's reactions...should be priceless!
lol.png

Thanks so much! It's really amazing how the ducklings have outgrown their mom already.

Are your young ones Muscovy/Runner or Pekin/ Runner? They are very pretty.

We're suppose to get snow we just don't know how much since the mountains can break system up pretty good.

Are your young ones Muscovy/Runner or Pekin/ Runner? They are very pretty.

We're suppose to get snow we just don't know how much since the mountains can break system up pretty good.

Thanks! They're Pekin/Runner...dad's still in the (garage) brooder wearing his "footie" made of Vetrap until his bumble fully heals. I was really puzzled by their coloring at first, but another BYCer who has the same crosses said theirs had the same coloration. Must be the mallard genes.
smile.png

The snow stopped for a while and started to melt, but it picked back up and I suspect we'll get a decent accumulation tonight. Are you hoping for snow or no?

One quick update on the chickens that refused to come out of the coop this morning: they were still in there at evening feeding time! I had to carry them over to the food before the others scarfed it all down. Somehow, I thought that hunger would overcome the reluctance to come out in the snow...guess I was mistaken.
roll.png

One quick update on the chickens that refused to come out of the coop this morning: they were still in there at evening feeding time! I had to carry them over to the food before the others scarfed it all down. Somehow, I thought that hunger would overcome the reluctance to come out in the snow...guess I was mistaken.
roll.png
LOL Mine go from their coop to the wood shed and that is where they hang out during the day when rain or snowing.I made a wall to keep wind off of them and old saw horses for them to roost on. They have it made.

Yours probably want room service.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom