my ducks won't lay eggs??? PLEASE HELP!

One of my Khaki Campbells just started laying this week, she is about 18 weeks. Sooner than I expected. The Mallard female is 21 weeks and no egg from her yet. I have a box with straw, but she just lays somewhere in the coop. If your ducks free range, they may be laying eggs without you knowing it. Check around th yard.

I think it depends on the duck and the breed. My runners started laying in March at about 5 1/2 months old. They have already hatched ducklings (2 weeks ago). Mine are still laying even in Florida heat. I'll have to see what the fall/winter brings.

Also, if yours are like mine, when they first started laying I found eggs EVERYWHERE. Middle of the yard, edge of the fence, actually in the nest (rarely at first), they tend to just drop them whereever they are when they get the urge.
lol.png

Ducks are usually about 6 months old when they start laying. Not all ducks like nesting boxes either. Mine prefer making their own nests. Also if they are laying age and you don't find eggs make sure they aren't getting eaten by snakes etc. Friend of our wasn't sure her girls were laying, but when taken to Farm fair they were. Seems there was a snake in the neighborhood eating quite well.

well I cant really check the yard my yard is like 1 1\\2 acres so cant do that, but i dont really care about these eggs they are just pets, I will build a duck coop later when i build my new fence when i get my new ducklings but i just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with them or something. But thanks guys.

Your rouen is a mallard and will only lay seasonally. The other will lay in the spring but nothing like breeds selected for egg laying.

I have Pekins and Rouens - they only started laying at 9 months old after the winter and the days started to get longer in the Spring. I had two go broody this summer and any laying right now is from my one pekin who didn't go broody. I think six months is early - but perhaps in warmer climates this is more normal...

Back
Top Bottom