My egg died!

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
Out of six peafowl eggs, two had ruptured air cells. I put them into the incubator and the rest of the eggs under a hen. At two weeks, one of the eggs in the incubator was forming, and one of the eggs under the hen. Of the other three under the hen, one was clear, one had a possible blood ring, and the other was dark liquid - an exploder in the making. So I was anticipating two chicks next Friday. I candled tonight (the three week point), and my ruptured aircell egg in the incubator died
hit.gif
I took it out to the compost and broke it open, there was the poor chick that had just started to form. So now I am down to one, which is still moving around in there.

When I asked DH if I could get these eggs, he asked what I was going to do with six more peas. I told him that I would choose what I wanted to keep and sell the rest. So he said 'well, if you think you could sell them and get the money that you spent on the eggs...' Now I am really glad that I was totally honest and told him that I can't guarantee that, that shipped eggs are a risk and I can't guarantee that even one will hatch. I suppose now would be a bad time to ask if I can get more eggs. (sigh...)

Frosty,So sorry to hear that
hugs.gif

It is always hard with shipped eggs but like the lotto at times you just may get lucky
smile.png

Well now that I think about that I would have better luck with the eggs than the lotto LOL
Hopefully you will be able to get some more and hatch ya some out soon !

Fay

Quote:
Fay, if they hatched out like the eggs that you sent me... I would have paid for six eggs and had eight chicks!
smile.png

The big question is, can I convince DH to let me try again? I could just order more eggs since I contribute financially too, but I always discuss these things with DH because I would rather let him have a say in how I spend our money. And right now I have let a few auctions close without bidding because I think I want to hold out for Bronze. The egg that just died was a Pied (I have a dark Pied cock and a Silver Pied hen along with the SP yearling cock from my pair), the remaining egg was sold as a Spalding but it sounds like low percent. The seller did offer to send me three eggs if I pay $15 postage, but I wouldn't feel right taking him up on it. What happens to the eggs in shipping isn't his fault.

Quote:
Hope you have a great hatch! Have you candled them at all? I just hope that you don't have any eggs ready to blow up in there... When I candled at week 2 there was one with dark liquid in it, I think it would have turned into an exploder
sickbyc.gif

I candled at day 7 and 14....i threw out 1 definitie...but i didnt want to risk throwing out a peachick so i left the 4 in...the i think is going to hatch is the bronze

Quote:
poultryfan73 I think that it s very likely indeed that ALL the eggs were fertile, but for whatever reason (shipping, the bator power outage etc) the others did not form an embryo that you could see.
It is very unlikely that you would have been sent 4 infertile eggs!!!

Good luck with that bronze
fl.gif

Quote:
poultryfan73 I think that it s very likely indeed that ALL the eggs were fertile, but for whatever reason (shipping, the bator power outage etc) the others did not form an embryo that you could see.
It is very unlikely that you would have been sent 4 infertile eggs!!!

Good luck with that bronze
fl.gif

You made me go back and read my post to make sure that I didn't refer to mine as 'infertile'
lol.png

I have noticed that people put that in a lot of feedbacks, saying that the eggs they got are infertile and I often wonder how they know that. Did they break the egg open to see? Can you even tell after they were shipped and sat in an incubator long enough to see if they are developing? I would think that by that point, the yolk would break when you break the egg open. I really have to watch myself to keep from referring to non-viable eggs as infertile. I know the difference in my mind, but don't always write or say what I mean. I really do try to say that they 'didn't develop' instead. When I leave feedback on auctions, I write about packing and communication. If I have outstanding development, I leave an update to reflect that. If development is poor, I leave the feedback as it stands and don't add an update since the poor development could be from factors outside of the sellers control. In this case, the seller did offer to send me three more eggs if I would pay shipping. I declined because I don't blame him and I bought these eggs fully aware of the risk.

And I am envious, I woule love to have a bronze!!! Make sure we get pics poultryfan73!!!

Frosty - that is very considerate of you
big_smile.png

I am sure that MOST eggs that get sent out are fertile and if they do not develop it has relatively little to do with the seller. I think that maybe people don't think or know about the difference.

I have never sold fertile eggs (I set them ALL
hide.gif
) but I know they are fertile (29/29 of my last lot
ya.gif
) but if I sold some and they did not develop I would be a bit upset if someone was telling everyone that I sent out infertile eggs. Failing to develop after shipping is just a sad fact of life and totally different.

Having said that, at the very end of last pea egg season I bought 14 eggs (SUPER EXPENSIVE) from a dealer that I have since seen discussed on BYC as not recommended (& I don't think she does BYC). I had them expressed mailed. ZERO developed. I asked her if the males had dropped their tails as it was late in the season, and all but one egg looked fine on candling, and she said yes that that almost all had completley dropped them
th.gif
. And she STILL sold the eggs AND at TOP PRICES
th.gif
. !!! I was so disgusted I did not ask for a refund or anything but none was offered. Never again. I since heard she was trying to sell a really OLD tolbunt flock for top $$$ too. Guess they had stopped laying for her......

These people should be banned, but I guess they earn their own bad reputation, and eventually business.........

Sorry..... rant over.......... BTW happy fathers day everyone!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom