My experiences with free ranging and small tips that help it work.

Midnightman14

Crowing
8 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
I typically don't recommend free ranging as appealing as it is for many people but here are some bulleted points that can help you have success with it.

- Don't count on your birds going back into the pens at night even if they typically do it. Once they find a perch outside they like or a sleeping spot they like they won't come back in.

- The more birds you have penned the less likely any free rangers are to wander off. Peafowl are social birds and like to stay near their own kind. On the rare occasion one of my birds get out they don't go far because they want to stay with the group.

- If you live on a property that is heavily wooded or has thick woods very close by I would not try to free range. Peafowl are a nomadic species and their sense of where "home" is is not very good so when they go into thick woods they very quickly become turned around.

- Don't free range if you're near a busy road or highway. Peafowl are very stupid when it comes to danger and often get hit by cars in such scenarios.

- How many acres you have doesn't really matter to them when it comes to staying. They go where they please when they please and can cover miles in a day.

- Feed consistently in one place on the property for free range birds preferably away from porches or sidewalks that might become soiled with droppings.

- Be aware that at some point you WILL have to catch a bird to either deworm or treat an injury so get the birds used to you being close or feed them in a pen that you can close the door to should a bird need treating.

- Be aware that peafowl and non livestock guardian dogs do not mix. If your birds go on someone else's property and are killed by their dog it's on you. Similarly do not ever clip a peafowl's wings EVER when they are free ranged.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 40
I have 5 that are free ranging. I lock them up every night that I am able. About an hour before dark I give them treats - scratch in the pen. They go in and I lock them up. However if I am late they will happily spend the night in the tree no matter the weather. They have a specific tree that they roost in that is next to the coop.

The dog is so true - they terrorize our Boxer. They are however scared of the 5 pound chihuahua.

Do they roam farther as they get older? They do some now but not too far. We are next to a small cemetery and fortunately everytime I've had to herd them home the people visiting were thrilled to see them and ended up asking to take pictures. One couple actually purchased plots close to the property line in hopes that the Peas would visit them!

I have 5 that are free ranging. I lock them up every night that I am able. About an hour before dark I give them treats - scratch in the pen. They go in and I lock them up. However if I am late they will happily spend the night in the tree no matter the weather. They have a specific tree that they roost in that is next to the coop.

The dog is so true - they terrorize our Boxer. They are however scared of the 5 pound chihuahua.

Do they roam farther as they get older? They do some now but not too far. We are next to a small cemetery and fortunately everytime I've had to herd them home the people visiting were thrilled to see them and ended up asking to take pictures. One couple actually purchased plots close to the property line in hopes that the Peas would visit them!
They do go farther afield as they get older. Gotta keep them out of the cemetary though. Poop on headstones is probably not going to go over well.

I typically don't recommend free ranging as appealing as it is for many people but here are some bulleted points that can help you have success with it.

- Don't count on your birds going back into the pens at night even if they typically do it. Once they find a perch outside they like or a sleeping spot they like they won't come back in.

- The more birds you have penned the less likely any free rangers are to wander off. Peafowl are social birds and like to stay near their own kind. On the rare occasion one of my birds get out they don't go far because they want to stay with the group.

- If you live on a property that is heavily wooded or has thick woods very close by I would not try to free range. Peafowl are a nomadic species and their sense of where "home" is is not very good so when they go into thick woods they very quickly become turned around.

- Don't free range if you're near a busy road or highway. Peafowl are very stupid when it comes to danger and often get hit by cars in such scenarios.

- How many acres you have doesn't really matter to them when it comes to staying. They go where they please when they please and can cover miles in a day.

- Feed consistently in one place on the property for free range birds preferably away from porches or sidewalks that might become soiled with droppings.

- Be aware that at some point you WILL have to catch a bird to either deworm or treat an injury so get the birds used to you being close or feed them in a pen that you can close the door to should a bird need treating.

- Be aware that peafowl and non livestock guardian dogs do not mix. If your birds go on someone else's property and are killed by their dog it's on you. Similarly do not ever clip a peafowl's wings EVER when they are free ranged.

Hope this helps.
What is this black peacock? It looks like a Bronze-Charcoal.

We must be Blessed! Our flock of 5 hens + 1 rooster always stay within earshot, come when called, and come back to the coop at dusk.
Hubby trained them well to know their names & neighborhood boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom