My favorite baby is dead

ProgressiveHomemaker

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Mars Hill, NC
hit.gif
Basil was such a good girl. She was so tame and friendly. This morning about a half hour after letting them out to free range, I heard a huge ruckus and ran out to see what was up and found only Basil's feathers at one corner of my fence. She was so special and sweet. Please help me adjust to losing my first chicken. For pics of her, see my profile pic or look at the ones I posted in the forum here just a few weeks back (link below). My 8 year old son who is in the pic with her is devastated. Is there any chance she might still be alive? If not, how do you deal with the grief of losing a favorite chicken?
hit.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=460379&p=1 for pictures of my beautiful baby

Last edited:
only time can heal the wounds, I find that when i lose one it makes me kinda feel better to get a new baby it doesn't replace the one you lost but it does keep you occupied and help the grieving process
hugs.gif

Hi there! I am so sorry you lost your special friend! I think if they get to free range, they're happy though........If I had to choose between a caged up hen with a very long life, or a hen that could free range, but might have a shorter life......Well, I'd pick the free ranging hen......

It's a sad thing about chicken keeping......these losses.......

Take care,

Sharon

I lost 4 chickens last week and two were my very favorite. The 3 month old chick Penny would follow me around the yard and jump in my lap. My other favorite (Pony) was possibly a roo and we were holding on hoping it would not turn into a roo. What was hardest for me was Penny would run to me when she thought she was in danger (you know when someone new walked into the yard) and I can just imagine her wondering where I was when the dog was killing her! Why I did not protect her.

I just have to know that I learned from this, my other chickens will be better off. I also think I was too obsessed with her. I mean my daughter in law miscarried the day before and I never cried, but I bawled like a baby when I found Penny. That is not right!

I am so sorry, it does get better!

Sorry for your loss. I just lost my favorite one too. I bought another one to replace it and something got that one the first night. Don't know what or how something is getting in to get them. I'm just sick about mine too.
sad.png

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Me and Grandaughter had raised three chicks we bought at feed store. Molly Nelly and Sissy. One morning we woke up and owl had got Nelly and Sissy. Tootiebell said I told them to stick together now look what happened( she is 7) We still have Molly but it was so said to loose the others. Funny people think chickens don't have feelings. I beg to differ because I know my chickens love me as much as I love them.

I am so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
I am new to this and have 12 babies in the brooder still, all 2 to 4 weeks old. They all have such interestingly sweet personalities and I just want to protect them. I never thought I could get so attached!

Oh, I am so sorry. She was a beautiful girl. I doubt if your precious one is still alive, they are so vulnerable and so fragile.

I would securely pen up the flock for at least a week in the event the predator comes back (and it probably will). Give your flock extra treats and keep an eye out as they will be stressed after witnessing an attack. The rest of your flock is also upset, so perhaps your son can help them cope. And tears always help.

Again, I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom