My Finished Coop - Chicken/Dog Duplex *Lots of Pics*

Chicken Ninja

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Idaho
Here is proof that you don't need to get rid of dogs to get your backyard chickens. They can actually coexist quite peacefully.

Here is the finished product, and lots of pictures
big_smile.png

The full view
36095_img_4829.jpg

Dog goes this way, with included run...
36095_img_4803.jpg

36095_img_4827.jpg

Chickens go out this way, with fully predator-proof run
36095_img_4830.jpg

36095_img_4828.jpg

Better view of the run
36095_img_4832.jpg

36095_img_4809.jpg

And inside...
36095_img_4816.jpg

36095_img_4812.jpg

36095_img_4813.jpg

36095_img_4814.jpg

36095_img_4819.jpg

36095_img_4820.jpg

Basically my chickens can live in this enclosed run indefinately. My dog is allowed to roam the yard during the day, and she actually shows very little interest in the chickens (very thankfully). However, when we want to let the chickens free range in our yard, we can just put the dog in her kennel and they have a ball. So far it has worked out greatly and very successfully.

Inside the coop, the floor and wall sides have linoleum, for easy cleaning. They have a full length roosting pole, as well as 3 nesting boxes between the 6 of them. In the outside run, covered in part by a tarp, is their main food source and water source. They also have a small feeder and waterer inside the coop.They are happy, healthy, and very fun chickens. So far everything has turned out amazingly.
big_smile.png

Tell me what you think, I've never seen anything like what we did before.

36095_img_4817.jpg

Last edited:
Very clever idea.

I do have one off topic question.

In the one picture with the foof raised. there is a light brown chicken with white or very light brown tail feathers. Do you know which breed she is?

Thanx,

David

Last edited:
Ah, you would be speaking of Buttercup. Her and the other brown chicken are of the same breed. I got them from Dunlap Hatchery, in Caldwell, Idaho. They say that breed is a Golden Sex Link.

"This is our best brown egg layer. Imported originally from the Netherlands, this strain is used in over 60 countries worldwide. Capable of laying over 300 strong shelled eggs per year, the Golden Sex Link also know as the Bovan Brown is a very hearty bird that can withstand cold temperatures. When hatched, the males are a creamy white with the females colored in shades of red.
"

Hope that helps
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom