I have 2 ar15
a rock river
and an armalite
they are so much fun
just cant afford ammo at $350 per thousand rounds
i used to get a thousand rounds for $120
good luck
smile.png

I'll keep the progress pics coming, plus pics/video when I start shooting it. I'm down to just a couple hundred rounds of ammo right now though. Like you said, too much $$$$$$$$$$$.

I had a friend who was apprehensive about building an AR. He was real keen on getting an AK variant in 5.35 x 39 due to ammunition pricing. I advised that once the foreign surplus dried up that he'd be looking at something more expensive than standard 5.56.
Anyway, he came down for a visit last Fall and I had a full parts kit waiting for a demonstration. It took a whole 10 minutes to assemble the lower receiver components and affix everything to the upper barrel assembly. It was a standard A3 flattop 16" build for right around $550.00.

People are amazed at how cheaply an AR can be assembled.
Good job!

NICE! If the dang things weren't so expensive, I'd LOVE to get myself an AR-15 (after an AK-47, of course.
wink.png
). Shot a friend's once - that thing was so much fun!

Post pics of when it's finished! Bet it'll be fun to shoot.

The AK-47 was a real masterpiece. It never jammed up like the M-16. They had an unlimited supply of them. The US would have done better just buying them instead of the M-16. We learn everything the hard way, and then we forget it.

Rufus

The AK-47 was a real masterpiece. It never jammed up like the M-16. They had an unlimited supply of them. The US would have done better just buying them instead of the M-16. We learn everything the hard way, and then we forget it.

Rufus

The reason the M16 jammed was because the government bean counters contracted for less expensive ammo with pelletized powder rather than the faster burning cylindrical, I never had mine jam in the four years I used it, and that was when you could fire a full magizine full auto, I understand now they fire three burps per trigger pull. If I could get the old Colt AR I would.

Rufus
I rather my AR's over my AK's any day.

The reason the M16 jammed was because the government bean counters contracted for less expensive ammo with pelletized powder rather than the faster burning cylindrical, I never had mine jam in the four years I used it, and that was when you could fire a full magizine full auto, I understand now they fire three burps per trigger pull. If I could get the old Colt AR I would.

Exactly, my DPMS has over 15k rounds through it and is 100% reliable.

Rufus

Probably by the way I grew up but every time I see an AK I do not think American I think terrorist.

Probably by the way I grew up but every time I see an AK I do not think American I think terrorist.

When I see one, I see an excellent "people's rifle." Sounds like Commie propaganda, I know, but it's true. They're far cheaper than AR-15s and exceptionally easy to maintain and operate. As George Orwell put it, simple weapons are inherently democratic weapons that give claws to the weak.

When I see one, I see an excellent "people's rifle." Sounds like Commie propaganda, I know, but it's true. They're far cheaper than AR-15s and exceptionally easy to maintain and operate. As George Orwell put it, simple weapons are inherently democratic weapons that give claws to the weak.

AK's can be argued to be one of the greatest assault rifles in history. You can bury it in the sand or mud and it still work. I just do not see the good guys using Ak's only the bad.

AK's can be argued to be one of the greatest assault rifles in history. You can bury it in the sand or mud and it still work. I just do not see the good guys using Ak's only the bad.

Yeah, that's true. Unfortunate, as well. If it weren't for the "evil gun" use of the AK in movies, etc., there'd probably be more American companies making them, as well as ammo for them. I don't think I've EVER seen a movie villain/evil mook using an M-4 or M-16.

Just had a thought that was so incredibly awesome - an AK-47 manufactured by Remington or Winchester. I'd like to see more American companies making FALs, too. If it weren't for the cost (of both gun and ammunition), I'd take an FAL over an AK-47.

Back
Top Bottom