My first broody saga...

Doctamomma

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
My hen decided that it was time for her to have babies, she lost her first batch, so I returned her and she continued to be broody and hoarding eggs. I let her have five, candled at day 16, culled two eggs (first time around one was cracked and it contaminated the other eggs when it ruptured). She has 3 eggs now and it is day 19. I am hearing peeping. She did have a bowel movement on the eggs a few days ago, I wiped them off and then put them back, do you think they have a shot at surviving? ANyone have this happen with a successful outcome?

Missy

If you're hearing peeping, I'd say you have a good shot at getting some chicks! However, I am also kind of worried. If you have less than two chicks when they hatch, your chicken could have some social issues when it is older.

I know what you mean.....I was sad when two did not develop completely, one stopped at about day 13 based on size when I looked inside the egg, the other stopped earlier and was liquefied. Hoping the remaining three are successful. I guess time will tell. I have only had experience with an incubator, so this has been an education.

fl.gif
I've never hatched before, but I can imagine the experience is nerve wracking.

My chickens 3 have been laying on the same nest that I just found 2 days ago. It was outside there coop I've been letting them free range but all hens come back and lay eggs I knew some weren't because I was short eggs well I found the nest by accident which has 29 eggs. I moved the best at dark and put the three hens who have been sitting on the nest in there's what should I do? Will they continue to sit is that to many eggs first time

Did you candle any? Any idea how old. I think with 3 hens, as long as they all sit, you will be ok.

I have to say that my broody hen has changed my mind about incubators being the best way to hatch eggs. I absolutely love see the interaction between the chick and mom.

Back
Top Bottom