My first broody saga...

Doctamomma

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
My hen decided that it was time for her to have babies, she lost her first batch, so I returned her and she continued to be broody and hoarding eggs. I let her have five, candled at day 16, culled two eggs (first time around one was cracked and it contaminated the other eggs when it ruptured). She has 3 eggs now and it is day 19. I am hearing peeping. She did have a bowel movement on the eggs a few days ago, I wiped them off and then put them back, do you think they have a shot at surviving? ANyone have this happen with a successful outcome?

Missy

wee.gif
WOOOHOOO!!! Hopefully at least one more will come!

Ooopppsss... Sorry wrong pic, this my kitten Smokies(7weeks old)
Here's the right pic.

My 2 brooding hens decided to bring there 5 hatchlings, one of which hatched last night. The problem with that is there is one egg that supposed to hatch today and 4 more that are supposed to hatch in the next 5 days. I did stand around and watch how the hands acted with the chicks they didn't seem to want to go inside to the other eggs so I gathered up the last five eggs and brought him inside in a makeshift incubator with a heating pad under a bed pad, in hopes that I can hatch these last five eggs. The one egg that was supposed to have yesterday or today, I heard peeping from and it startled me and the worst thing happened it dropped on the ground and the eggs shattered with the membrane still intact. Immediately took the eggs down to the house, put the other four eggs in incubator and try to visually inspect the broken egg. I was worried that the chick was hurt or damaged in some way so I did the unspeakable thing and opened it although I did leave the chick connected to the umbilical and the sack, in hopes that it would still absorb whatever nutrients it can get. I've watched over the last several hours, it's moving, chirping, and breathing.

As the hours go by, the chick seems more and more active and more adamant to move and of course the umbilical is drying up, so I hope by the morning it's still living and I can put it in with the other chicks in the coop. Also I have never incubated eggs in the past this wasn't a plan, the plan was to let the hens hatch the eggs but of course this was a possibility so if anyone has any info that can give me about incubating these eggs cheaply, any info would be appreciated please and thank you.

If you're hearing peeping, I'd say you have a good shot at getting some chicks! However, I am also kind of worried. If you have less than two chicks when they hatch, your chicken could have some social issues when it is older.

I know what you mean.....I was sad when two did not develop completely, one stopped at about day 13 based on size when I looked inside the egg, the other stopped earlier and was liquefied. Hoping the remaining three are successful. I guess time will tell. I have only had experience with an incubator, so this has been an education.

Back
Top Bottom