My first canaries - some basic questions

Trimini

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
Chile
Hello. I live in a rural part of Chile, though I am not Chilean. I have a large aviary that I built for my pet peacock two years go. Since then my aviary has expanded, I acquired a few more birds, including a girl pea and some lovely chickens. Last week I was gifted a pair of canaries, both girls. I built out a canary corner in the aviary for them. It is about 6 x 6 x 8 feet. Meshed and shade-clothed, with branches, nesting homes, dirt and grass, and feeders and water dishes for both drinking and bathing.
The girl canaries are both two years old. They lived in a small cage so far and were very happy to finally spread their wings. I was told that the reason for giving them to me was that they seemed very sad. They are certainly not sad any more. They are so delightful. They chirp a lot and even fly over to me every chance they get.
Yesterday I acquired a male canary to join them. This lovely gentleman is yellow and white on the belly and the underside of the wings, and green and black on the top. He made himself right at home. The girls LOVE him. The three birds are always together and everyone seems very happy.

I do have some questions, since these are my first song birds. I am just learning about them by reading a great deal. We have a flock of wild green canaries on our land, so I know a little bit from observing them as well.

QUESTION 1: Do they ever use the nesting homes when not laying? Mine sleep on a branch at the very top of the aviary, under a cross beam. I have three bird homes with straw hanging in there and I have not yet seen anyone use them.

SINCE I LIVE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE IT IS SPRING HERE, EARLY SPRING. MY PEAS AND CHICKEN ARE JUST BEGINNING TO ENETER MATING SEASON. CHICKENS HAVEN'T STARTED LAYING YET, BUT ARE DUE TO START IN 3 TO 4 WEEKS.

QUESTION 2: My nesting homes are hanging at my eye level and higher. Since I plan to let my canaries breed naturally, the way my chickens do, are these homes too high up? Is there any danger that the peeps will fall out, or will the mamas take care of them?

QUESTION 3: Speaking of breeding, when does that happen in spring and how often? How many eggs do canaries lay every season?

These are the only questions I have right now, but if anyone wants to shed some light on topics that I didn't think to mention, please feel free to share. Thank you.

These are my birds.

HipstamaticPhoto-555807400.459258.jpg
HipstamaticPhoto-555857660.780603.jpg
NIMFE0614.JPG
IMG_E8404.JPG
IMG_E8392.JPG
IMG_E8407.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1384.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been at least 60 years since I raised canaries. :old You are going to love the process. I cage bred my birds and provided a 'soup strainer' like nest that they filled with nesting material. I think that they will use the nests that you have provided and be successful. The male will most likely choose just one of the hens as he will help feed the young when they hatch. Read all that you can as there are special feeds to give when they are raising young.

Has the male started singing ? If so he is probably courting already. Provide nesting material and let nature run its course. Those are some lucky birds with that great aviary. Good luck in raising the next generation.

It's been at least 60 years since I raised canaries. :old You are going to love the process. I cage bred my birds and provided a 'soup strainer' like nest that they filled with nesting material. I think that they will use the nests that you have provided and be successful. The male will most likely choose just one of the hens as he will help feed the young when they hatch. Read all that you can as there are special feeds to give when they are raising young.

Has the male started singing ? If so he is probably courting already. Provide nesting material and let nature run its course. Those are some lucky birds with that great aviary. Good luck in raising the next generation.

Thank you very much. This is very encouraging. The boy has not started singing yet. Only little chirps, but I do see him with one female in particular all the time.

Back
Top Bottom