My first egg and potential suspects

Those are awesome photos, and beautiful birds, but if it has to be one of them laying (you dont have any other birds?) Then I'm totally stumped. They both look equal in development to me. Easter eggers are essentially a mutt, a blue egg breed (ameraucana or aracauna, I'm not great with spelling) mixed with any brown egg laying breed.. Depending on the brown breed used you can get any variation of feather color, egg color etc. Yours might be mixed with a breed I'm totally unfamiliar with and that could be my problem. If its got to be one of them I'd suggest checking their pelvis width after they roost.. Your only sure way to find out. Sorry I couldn't answer your question, but do reply back once you find out, I'm curious!
Best wishes!

Here are my other 2 ...I think they are Roosters. One is much smaller than the other and I thought it was a hen until the things under the beak developed.

Here is Rick..he is huge

...and here is Squeaker....I thought it was a hen..but now think its a rooster...but its very small compared to Rick

...and here they are together

I can most confidently assure you that squeaker IS a pullet. And looks very ready to begin laying at that! That's what I'm reffering to, the comb & waddle growth & reddening. >unless squeaker is only ≈14 weeks old, she is most definitely a she!! BUT, unless your camera setting distorted the color of that egg, squeaker did NOT lay you a green tinted egg. The blue egg gene is tied to the pea comb, except for a couple breed exemptions (Isbar, cream legbar, etc) of which she is not. Her single comb suggests that she will lay a white (is she a leghorn?) Or brown egg. Still stumped as to who gave you the green egg, unless its actually white? Hummmm....

Attached a photo of my 5 month old Amber White, Dixie. She is about to begin laying, if she hasn't yet & hidden it out free ranging, this pic is about a week old.

I have a EE almost just like your black one and she lays the same color egg that you have. I have a EE rooster and Domin(don't know rest of spelling) Rooster which is black and white.

Oh ok...so she is a she...well thats actually great news. In more than one way. Rick is missing some tail feathers today and is a little bloody. I thought maybe the lil rooster ...(who isnt a rooster now) was getting after him. But now...I know I only have one Rooster and that is some good news. So, I don't have to separate them. That was going to be another construction project .....lol

Now the egg.....yes its green/blue definitely.....no doubt about that in person. Oh well....Hopefully soon I have a bunch off eggs from all of them. Then our little family will be happy.

-Puma-

Hi puma! IMHO the black EE "black" haa laid that egg, her comb and face are red enough for a pea combed pullet... Your white pullet is a leghorn (best laying breed) and seems close to laying... The third pullet is also an EE and also close to laying... You HUGE rooster who is young and already that size is probably a cornish rock cross rooster, these are the type of commercial meat bird type... He will have a lot of leg problems soon and heart problems as well... So you might wanf to consider selling/giving him to someone who would ear him, or you can eart him yourself, or you can take care of him until he dies naturally, you actually might want to restrict his feed consumtion so he doesn't put on more weight... He might or might not try to mate with your pullet, but he succeeds it will be hard to the pullet to bear all that weight, he even might injure them... So you should consider that for the future... But if you plan to hatch good layers and decent meat birds in the future his genes are gonna be great!
Oh and sorry for the question but where did you get them from? Hatchery , feed store?

Glad to see some more folks chiming in! My only pea combed bird actually has a black comb so I had no idea they wouldn't redden as much as others, she does however have red waddles that are larger than Black's... But again, mixed breeds can be so different! Its possible that black is mixed with Australorp or another breed where partial black in the comb is a norm & that would explain the grey tint and pale looking-ness. Chickens dont like to follow "rules" and really rules go out the window with mixed breeds.
Since the suggestion has been made about Rick I do see the similarities and would agree that a Cornish rock cross is possible... I dont know how to tell the difference between a Cornish X and a white Plymouth rock (that's what the Cornish is crossed with). I would be mighty upset with a feed store or hatchery if they gave you a Cornish labeled as anything else! There are a few folks who have kept Cornish X into adulthood with necessary exercise & feed restrictions... Dont know how you feel about eating him...

Well the 2 white ones I got from a school project where they let my lil girls watch eggs hatch. Then they give away the chickens and don't tell you much other than it's a chicken.

The 2 other ones I bought from a man in town that raises them.

and thanks for all the info about Rick....he is a monster of a bird.

-Puma-

Everyones glaf to help! Do your research and keep us updated for more!
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom