My first egg today.

thehbcrew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Long Island
Got my first egg today, only one of my hens is squatting so i assume it came from her
300783_2513441758211_1318173829_3014307_1178641723_n.jpg

Last edited:
So today would have been my second egg, however the egg was soft and broken when i found it. I assume that might be a normal thing when they start laying. However i found the egg underneath the roost. Almost as if she layed it while she was roosting. That happen to anyone else, i have oyster shells in there, i am assuming they know to eat them. I kind of feel like she may have pushed it out by accident if thats even possible.

Quote:
It hasn't happened to me yet, but I hear it is pretty normal when they first start laying to have a few soft shells. Not sure about pushing it out by accident... hopefully someone will reply with a similiar experience.

We had two hens start laying last week. One laid on Monday and then not again until Saturday. In the mean time we found a few eggs without shells under the roost. Since then she's been regular with eggs with shells every day. We even got a double yoker from her yesterday!

I wouldn't worry about the one you found under the roost. Her egg laying systems are still getting things in order.

Back
Top Bottom