My first euthanising RIP Boss Chook

CarolynPerth

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Perth
Still crying...
hit.gif

This was the chicken that just would not die. After discovering a nasty wound on her abdomen 4 days ago, following a few weeks of being unwell and not eating ( I had treated for cocciodosis), then the wound had got maggots in it. She spent her last few days in a box after I cleaned and dressed the wound, hand fed her, gave antibiotics etc. Eventually, she was too weak and emaciated to stand and not knowing what made her sick in the first place I decided it was time to give up and let her die. But I couldn't let her just starve to death.

First I tried the carbon dioxide but I must have made it too weak. So I decided what I really wanted to do was quick and painless and I tried to break her neck... I heard it snap and it went limp but she was still breathing, I panicked... it got really awful at this point and I was crying so I finished her off holding her head under water and it took another 3 minutes for her to go.

I feel awful and I swear next time I'll pluck up the courage to use an axe.

She was my favourite, so tame and trusting.

Thank you for ending her suffering.. It is a tough decision to make but sometimes neccesary.. Next time defintly go with the axe or very sharp knife... Sorry you had to go thru all of that but it is a learning experience and never pleasant to do..
hugs.gif

Oh my goodnesss, you poor soul! I am so sorry you had to go through so much trama. I just put down my first chicken last week. I hope that you will feel better soon. I was able to get past it a lot faster than I anticipated, and I will pray for the same relief for you. Rest knowing that you did what was best for your chicken. It would have been horrible for her to starve to death, and even 5 minutes of what you went though was better for her than 5 days of starving. I hope you will feel better very soon.

Hi Carolyn:

I'm Sorry you had to go through that. I know some folks use an axe, but I never will again.

I had a Gander that was ill and I tried to use an ax (figuring it would be over quick for him).

I flinched (and closed my eyes) at the last second and did not kill him quickly. Geese seem to be pretty smart and I'd swear I could see such fear in his eyes.
I'm sure at some point in the future I'll have to do it again, but I'll probably just give my neighbor a few bucks to come over and do it for me.

6 months later I can still picture the look on the ganders face
sad.png
I guess that's why I can only raise chickens for eggs (I'd never be able to kill or eat one I had raised).

Thank you for your kind words. I kept hoping she would pull through.

We certainlt won't be eating her. I don't think I could eat an animal I knew by name - unless a last resort. I know, its hypocritical since we eat store bought chicken (free range only).

So she is waiting in the freezer for some rain to soften the ground and then I'll bury her.

I made a chinese style dry point painting of her a while ago. We have some great memories of this chook.

44514_chook-01.png

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's tough to make the decision, but harder to do the deed yourself. I always have to get somebody to do it for me.

Wonderful painting, btw...it should be in a gallery. Do you make many chicken paintings?

Thank you helen, sorry if this is going off topic, I'll post in the hobbies section...

I've not done many of chickens but this rooster is a rather splendid fellow.

44514_rooster.png
I actually "paint" digitally in Adobe Illustrator as well as in real inks.

Back
Top Bottom