My first ever chick hatched! On day 24

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
I have had my broody hen on eggs for 24 days now. I was worried about the eggs as I had to move them all out of the main flock on day 2 as the other hens kept kicking mama hen off the nest and laying more eggs in there. I probably had a few too many under her but I couldn't tell which were which when I moved her. At night 20 there was a really bad cold snap and mama was shivering the next morning. Day 23 (yesterday) I float tested the clutch and 5 eggs were dead. 2 only half developed, 3 full term but dead. I honestly thought poor mama lost her whole clutch. At 11pm before I went to sleep I checked on them, no signs of life. I was already making plans to pick up some chicks to give her to foster. 6:30am today, I went to let the main flock out, then went to check on mama.

Before I even opened the coop I could hear peeping. Low and behold, one tiny wet chick! It had piped, unzipped and hatched all between 11pm and 6:30am. Mama hen is making happy noises and it makes me so happy! The chick came from the one Faverolles egg in the clutch (and the Faverolles hen's second ever egg!), and the dad is a splash silkie. Bio mamma has feathered feet and a bearded face, columbian colouring not salmon. Dad is not bearded, giant walnut comb, feathered feet and has 5 toes on one foot, 5 1/2 on the other (one toe splits into two ends). And predictions for this little one? I'll get some more pics once baby is dried out more and it is warmer outside.

Other eggs still under mama are 4 of her own (frizzle pekin/cochin mix I think), 1 from my black mix breed, and a 1 left from the lavender Aaracana.

firstbabuchick.jpg

Congrats! 🎈🎊🎉🍾!!!

(I candle eggs; float testing is dangerous & a lot more trouble. I wait until after dark, take a basket if needed and go to the mama's nest. I've not had a mama that objected to this except to act uneasy. I take the eggs out one at a time, candle, & set them in the basket or other safe place—live/questionable on one side, discards on the other. Then I tuck the keepers back under and discard the rest.

You should see (if they're about to hatch) their little bills poking up into or through the air sac, or if not quite ready, at least some intact veining or independent (not random) movement. They may be sleeping, though. Unless I see disastrous floating masses or smell a bad smell, or see no development at all, I let her keep them. If she keeps sitting with no results for a couple days I will take them unless they're about to hatch. I can finish them in the incubator if desired, then try to give them to her if they hatch.)

Thanks!
Is there a more effective method to test eggs after they are due to hatch? I did crack open the eggs I had pulled and they were already dead.
It is possible to safely candle them is you hold the egg the way it was laying and only move the candling light around for viewing inside the egg. Also make sure to put it back just about exactly the way you picked it up.

So its an hour past sunset now and I just candled the eggs. Two eggs had movement and one of those was cheeping. One egg had no air sack at all but also no veins, just yucky looking red mass on one side. The rest had very large airsacks and veins but no signs of chicks or movement.

Hatched chick is doing very well, mama is doing a great job keeping it tucked under her wing. I named the baby pickle. It has a wierd thing I have noticed though. The middle two toes and nails are yellow/pale/colour of the mother's feet, while the rest of the toes and feet have the dark colouration of the silkie dad's feet.

Your little hen seems to be hatching eggs at different stages of development. I'll bet you get a couple more at least. 🥰 I hope you have them in a nest the little can't fall out of or, if it hops out, will be able to get back into. It becomes a problem if baby keeps ending up on the floor while Mama is worrying about unhatched eggs.

Also, Mama may be sitting for a little while and baby will need feeding/watering after 36 hours at the latest.

Mama and bub are in one of those little coops you can buy at a pet store with a larger raised house, attached externally accessable nest box and external outdoor run. Ive got chic safe food and water in the main box as mama wanted to nest in the nesting box.

The first eggs she was on before being moved were laid over 2 days, then I added a couple after moving as i wasnt sure if the the first ones were good. Others had kicked her off a few times because she chose the favorite nest to brood in. New eggs were around 4 days old.

She also laid 3 eggs to add to the clutch over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom