My first hatch and my chick is pipping on the wrong end!

Bunbun0412

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Hi! I feel like the proudest mom in the whole world right now, but anyways... I am hatching my first ever chicks and it is finally hatching Day. They are on lockdown and the humidity is 62 percent, they have all been healthy and moving around in the eggs a lot but the first one that has pipped has decided to pip in the middle of the egg(long ways). I know not to assist and I know there are always chances that they will not make it but I really want to do everything I can to help(and I know right now to leave them be lol) but if you have any advice for what to expect or anything I should do for newly hatched chicks please tell me because I know anyone who has hatched chicks knows the first time is the best and the worst xD. Also, I don't know if them being bantams makes a difference. And they are on day 19!

20230507_074644.jpg

And one has pipped internally so far but I am not opening it anymore! If you need better pics I can try my best!

Sometimes chicks do pip on the wrong side. I have had this happen, be patient. Things should be fine. Hopefully other hatchers will chime in. Good luck with the hatch.

Hi! I feel like the proudest mom in the whole world right now, but anyways... I am hatching my first ever chicks and it is finally hatching Day. They are on lockdown and the humidity is 62 percent, they have all been healthy and moving around in the eggs a lot but the first one that has pipped has decided to pip in the middle of the egg(long ways). I know not to assist and I know there are always chances that they will not make it but I really want to do everything I can to help(and I know right now to leave them be lol) but if you have any advice for what to expect or anything I should do for newly hatched chicks please tell me because I know anyone who has hatched chicks knows the first time is the best and the worst xD. Also, I don't know if them being bantams makes a difference. And they are on day 19!
Congrats! First, humidity should ideally be at 70-75% at least. So I would try to get that up more.
Pipping in the middle is fairly common and not a problem. The biggest problem is people assisting early on chicks that pip in the middle or on the pointy end, because they don't realize that chicks pipping anywhere but the air cell counts as the internal pip too. So you count at least 48 hours from the pip, 24 for internal pip and 24 for the external pip. Though I would absolutely not assist no matter what. Chicks that pip in the wrong place usually do great. Sometimes it seems even better than chicks that pip normally, lol.
Good luck!

Congrats! First, humidity should ideally be at 70-75% at least. So I would try to get that up more.
Pipping in the middle is fairly common and not a problem. The biggest problem is people assisting early on chicks that pip in the middle or on the pointy end, because they don't realize that chicks pipping anywhere but the air cell counts as the internal pip too. So you count at least 48 hours from the pip, 24 for internal pip and 24 for the external pip. Though I would absolutely not assist no matter what. Chicks that pip in the wrong place usually do great. Sometimes it seems even better than chicks that pip normally, lol.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for this! I have read that humidity is fine at 60-65 and I have no way to raise it so is it deadly to not raise it or do I need to find a way? And 2 are externally pipped now so I don't really want to open it. The one that is pipping at the wrong end is finally make a bit of progress after 16+ hours lol

Thank you so much for this! I have read that humidity is fine at 60-65 and I have no way to raise it so is it deadly to not raise it or do I need to find a way? And 2 are externally pipped now so I don't really want to open it. The one that is pipping at the wrong end is finally make a bit of progress after 16+ hours lol
No problem! I'm glad I could help.
I find that they usually do better if it's higher. 65 is the absolute lowest I would let it get during a hatch, and I'd probably be trying to get it up if it got that low. They just dry out very very easily. I like that if it's on the high end too that I can open the incubator for brief intervals and not have the humidity drop dangerously low.
What kind of incubator is it?

Back
Top Bottom