My First Hatching Experience!!!

Yay! :weee
My eggs are going to be shipped on Moday!!

Well back to your eggs...
First, throw out the smashed egg and keep the viable eggs upright in an egg carton if end up and pointy end down (or something similar). Keep the eggs outside the incubator for two to three days in an area without drafts or direct sunlight with a temperature around 65-70*F to let them "settle down" after their long and rough journey (this is also a good time for detached air cells -air cells that are rolling around end to end- to reattach). If the detached air cell in the egg is still rolling around after three days, then incubate it upright in an egg carton with the bottom of the carton cut out for air circulation. Oh yeah, are you planning on incubating them vertically or laid flat? :D

I plan on incubating them upright in an automatic turner. And good luck with your eggs!!!

Here's an incubator with a sliding plexiglass viewing window!

Super sweet!    What kind of chick is it?

I am expecting Seramas too...   around July 8th. I had to drive into the hills of Washington to get them.  I have a flock of large fowl but can't handle the big roosters (too loud) and don't want mixed chicks,  but I think the Serama crow is adorable.  So I am thinking Seramas might be the bird I can breed.    I just can't talk or read enough about them right now.     I found an old wooden child's desk that I want to make a coop for them out of.  I am going to turn the drawers into nesting boxes... so I can just pull them out to collect eggs, how cute is that!?  
Mine are Rhode Island Red Chicks. I have 8. They were hatched in my grade one classroom. I like your coop idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom