My First Lock Down

Hi, Wondering what happened to your hatch. Same here, all was well and at lockdown it seems they no longer are moving. I am at day 23 and only one silky is moving. Did you intervene and poke a hole in the air sack? Did it work? Can your experience help me? I'm just about to poke a hole in the silkie egg so that one won't die. I have only one baby to hatch and that was on day 22..I am so sad...Any help as this is my first hatch as well.

Thanks

I just read the thread.
1f633.png
my eggs go into lockdown tonight. I'm scared now. We had a power outage for 14 hours as soon as I got heat back up. I wait 12 hours and candled them. Pleasantly they were all alive and moving. I was very happy! But now I'm worried reading these stories. I have the incubator for dummies so I'm crossing my fingers! What day do they start to move around? I also have 5 bantam cochin and 5 standard EE eggs. I'm wondering if this will cause a problem since I have read bantams can hatch early.

I just read the thread.
1f633.png
my eggs go into lockdown tonight. I'm scared now. We had a power outage for 14 hours as soon as I got heat back up. I wait 12 hours and candled them. Pleasantly they were all alive and moving. I was very happy! But now I'm worried reading these stories. I have the incubator for dummies so I'm crossing my fingers! What day do they start to move around? I also have 5 bantam cochin and 5 standard EE eggs. I'm wondering if this will cause a problem since I have read bantams can hatch early.

No reason to expect a failure...so go forward expecting success! Is the "Incubator for Dummies" a Brinsea? If so, the odds are certainly in your favor.

No reason to expect a failure...so go forward expecting success!  Is the "Incubator for Dummies" a Brinsea?  If so, the odds are certainly in your favor.
Yes, it is a Brinsea. I'm most concerned about how long they were cold if that will delay hatch date. No eggs moving yet. I just locked them down last night. I could see some moving and some not but those were my bantam eggs. I'm guessing they a are filling up the egg. The air sacs all look healthy. Has anyone on this thread hAd bantams hatch earlier?

Smaller eggs tend to hatch earlier than larger eggs, all else being equal. The chick grows to fill the space more quickly and has less liquid to absorb. Lockdown on your original schedule, if there is a delay it won't harm them.

Last edited:
Smaller eggs tend to hatch earlier than larger eggs, all else being equal.  The chick grows to fill the space more quickly and has less liquid to absorb.  Lockdown on your original schedule, if there is a delay it won't harm them.
Perfect ! Thank you! I locked down on the 18 th day so by Friday latest Saturday ?

Last night was day 19, we had 3 moving eggs but nothing this morning. Is that normal ? No chirps yet either. Tonight at 6 will be day 20 , will I start to see more action? My friend locked down the same day and had one hatch last night.

Back
Top Bottom