My First Quail

ChaosDog

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Over the course of the last few months, I've been gathering information and materials required for raising coturnix quail! the only issue i've come across is the local feed store did NOT have feed with protein higher than 18%, they only had chicken starter -- the woman who recommended raises quails herself and I know I can add scrambled egg or meal worms to raise protein in it [which I will be doing as a precaution... I did look online for places to order the feed but couldn't find anywhere where shipping wasn't gonna be out the butt.] and i've read here and there that some people feed it to them and they do fine.

Anyway... I have everything else I need, so I ordered 12 coturnix eggs from Purely Poultry last night. Will see how that goes. I'M SUPER NERVOUS. AND EXCITED.

We have 13 georgia giant bobwhite eggs in our incubator now. On day 7 and when candled all have embryos! We got ours from wadley farms. Our local feed store had turkey starter, so that is what I got. I have Seen it at tractor supply if you have one of them near you.
Good luck it is very exciting. This is our first hatching.

I got my shipping date for the eggs, but as it turns out, around the time they'd be arriving at the post office, I wouldn't be able to pick them up, so I had to send them an email asking if they would postpone shipping them until the following week. UUUGH. I want my babies! Looks like some more waiting for me though :c

Ask your feed store if they carry gamebird and turkey crumble.That is what they should be fed as chicks.
If they don't have it,see if they can order it for you.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
Well I candled at day 10 and 10 of my 13 eggs were moving and grooving. But 2 had blood rings and 1 appeared to be an early death. So I am getting my brooder made for at least 10 chicks. I am so excited.

Well I candled at day 10 and 10 of my 13 eggs were moving and grooving. But 2 had blood rings and 1 appeared to be an early death. So I am getting my brooder made for at least 10 chicks. I am so excited.

Awwwww congratulations on so many doing well so far! I would love to see pics if you can!

Back
Top Bottom