My Geese Hate Snow, and I'm feeling really sorry for them!

Their chewing is so obsessive that I bought a bunch of parrot, baby and dog toys and hung them in their garage pen. They love the mirror the best, but they chew on everything! This way on days that the weather is unreal or I'm having people over, I don't feel guilty about not taking them outside. They have things to play with, fresh food, water and the kids go out and sit with them too.

Their chewing is so obsessive that I bought a bunch of parrot, baby and dog toys and hung them in their garage pen. They love the mirror the best, but they chew on everything! This way on days that the weather is unreal or I'm having people over, I don't feel guilty about not taking them outside. They have things to play with, fresh food, water and the kids go out and sit with them too.
That's so sweet, I have toys for mine too but they still manage to find something they shouldn't have. This evening it was me, I was carrying my old drake around from the front and Sammy thought I got a bit to close and reached out and bit me on my leg, he took advantage of a situation but didn't realize I could still drop him to the ground and hold my drake at he same time.
smile.png
He never learns.

LOL That's funny! My geese chew on us like that is their life goal. How much can I chew up moms coat? They have already managed to bite a tiny metal decoration off my shoe. Any zipped, snap, button WILL be chewed. Lawn chairs, my hair if I"m squatting down. I have long hair and sometimes they will sneak up behind me and try to eat it.

I really think I should get them a raw hide.

LOL That's funny! My geese chew on us like that is their life goal. How much can I chew up moms coat? They have already managed to bite a tiny metal decoration off my shoe. Any zipped, snap, button WILL be chewed. Lawn chairs, my hair if I"m squatting down. I have long hair and sometimes they will sneak up behind me and try to eat it.

I really think I should get them a raw hide.
Try one they may like it but it will have to be lettuce flavored. lol my 2 young geese like to chew on me but Sammy likes to bite. Big difference between chewing and biting.

Having female geese who are imprinted is a big difference too. Ganders think their main goal in life to protect their girls whether there is a threat or not.

In that case, I'm happy I have girls! They are both quiet and sweet, that is, until a stranger comes by. Holy hell! The must announce to the world SOMEONE I DON'T KNOW IS HERE!!!!!! So, I'm trying to break them of getting so loud. So, when the UPS guy walked up the driveway, I grabbed Moose and let him pet her. They both got real quiet, then I set her down and all was well. Big babies!

In that case, I'm happy I have girls! They are both quiet and sweet, that is, until a stranger comes by. Holy hell! The must announce to the world SOMEONE I DON'T KNOW IS HERE!!!!!! So, I'm trying to break them of getting so loud. So, when the UPS guy walked up the driveway, I grabbed Moose and let him pet her. They both got real quiet, then I set her down and all was well. Big babies!

That is so good that she didn't bite him. Everyone hates the UPS person,our UPS driver [female] brings dog biscuits when she delivers, I think she should also bring romaine lettuce for when the geese are out, but they usually run like their tails are on fire when the big brown truck starts up the driveway.

Oh that's funny! When people come up my driveway, they run towards them to yell at them and tell them "I don't know you" They aren't afraid of anyone. But once I pick them up and let the person pet them, they chillout .

Oh that's funny! When people come up my driveway, they run towards them to yell at them and tell them "I don't know you" They aren't afraid of anyone. But once I pick them up and let the person pet them, they chillout .
Sam would bite anyone who came near his girls. but if they are all out together and someone drives up they run for their lives. I don't dare let them out if I know were going to have company, Sammy will bite. Don't want a law suit.

Do you have neighbors? how do they feel about the girls?

Yes, I live in a subdivision. My neighbors are totally fine with them. The neighborhood kids like to ride their bikes up the driveway to see them, but they get hissed at and I tell them they are shy of strangers. So, most of my neighbors wave as they drive or ride their bikes by.

I was really worried that one or more of my neighbors would complain at the yearly sub meeting, as it clearly states in the by laws, No Fowl. And, I didn't even go to the meeting. But it was never brought up or mentioned.

I keep them only on my small 1.5 acre lot, and their day pen is in the back yard where no one can see but my immediate neighbors that love them! Behind my house is a small lake(Large pond) and thick woods. It's very private. For being a subdivision in a township, we have more wildlife than my 10 acre home in northern Michigan!

I hear coyotes almost every day. They are yipping and making noise as they chase the deer through our yard. Then we have wild turkeys, fox, bald eagles, hawks and tons of great horned owls.

I have to keep a close eye on my babies. At one point not long ago, I counted 15 racoons in my yard! No, we don't feed them!

However, today, I was making my homemade sauce for Thursdays dinner and I heard a noise from the geese. I went on the deck to check them and there was a squirrel, in their pen eating their food! Even tried to take their corn on the cob! So, I went down and removed the food. They just played in their pool and I fed them when I brought them in at 4:30.

I went grocery shopping today. I bought them Timothy hay, Dandilion leaves, romane, green leaf lettuce, chickory(endive) letttuce, and escarole lettuce. No, they aren't spoiled at all!

Yes, I live in a subdivision. My neighbors are totally fine with them. The neighborhood kids like to ride their bikes up the driveway to see them, but they get hissed at and I tell them they are shy of strangers. So, most of my neighbors wave as they drive or ride their bikes by. 

I was really worried that one or more of my neighbors would complain at the yearly sub meeting, as it clearly states in the by laws, No Fowl. And, I didn't even go to the meeting. But it was never brought up or mentioned. 

I keep them only on my small 1.5 acre lot, and their day pen is in the back yard where no one can see but my immediate neighbors that love them! Behind my house is a small lake(Large pond) and thick woods. It's very private. For being a subdivision in a township, we have more wildlife than my 10 acre home in northern Michigan! 

I hear coyotes almost every day. They are yipping and making noise as they chase the deer through our yard. Then we have wild turkeys, fox, bald eagles, hawks and tons of great horned owls. 

I have to keep a close eye on my babies. At one point not long ago, I counted 15 racoons in my yard! No, we don't feed them! 

However, today, I was making my homemade sauce for Thursdays dinner and I heard a noise from the geese. I went on the deck to check them and there was a squirrel, in their pen eating their food! Even tried to take their corn on the cob! So, I went down and removed the food. They just played in their pool and I fed them when I brought them in at 4:30. 

I went grocery shopping today. I bought them Timothy hay, Dandilion leaves, romane, green leaf lettuce, chickory(endive) letttuce, and escarole lettuce. No, they aren't spoiled at all!

Sounds like my house. No pond though only woods. All my neighbors love my geese!

Back
Top Bottom