My girls are happpy!

chicamama03

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
SO the ladies are happy. The neighbors are helping feed yummy snacks in exchange for eggs and the girls are beginning to lay really well. I have one little Banty that is broody and likes to snuggle eggs. We have no rooster, so nothing will hatch (poor thing) but I can get some fertile eggs from a neighbor. Is that wise? I would still pull out the new eggs,but leave the fertile ones for her. Dumb? Will she stop laying if she's sitting on eggs to hatch? Dumb question?
Just curious.

People replace infertile eggs with fertile eggs that they buy all the time. If you want chicks, I'd say go for it! And, yes, she will stop laying while she is broody (even if the eggs won't hatch) and raising chicks.

will the other ladies stop laying too? They tend to lay in same place so I would have to mark the fertile eggs for sure.

No, the others would continue laying. If you do want her to hatch chicks, you should put her in a separate area so that she is not chased off the nest by the others. People often keep broodies in another pen like a dog crate or a brooder so that the other chickens don't pick on the broody hen or the chicks, but if that is not an option, a box near the ground where the others will not lay (but that will feel safe enough for the broody to want to stay there) might be an option.

Back
Top Bottom