my girls are not laying

Gabbychicky

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Upstate New York
Hi, I've been on the site once before as Gabbychick but was unable to sign in so now I'm Gabbychicky. Question...I have 2 beautiful Light Brahma chicken who are about 71/2 to 8 months old. They have settled into their tractor well and love the added area I've fenced off for them. I'm wondering when I should move them to their winter coop which is a dog kennel refitted to be a very secure chicken coop. The girls have not laying yet, they are molting now and the days are getting shorter. Should I put a light in the coop for 14 hours to force them to lay???? probably not the right word. I don't want to harm their productivity. We live in upstate New York and our winters can be brutal. The coop is insulated with windows but I will not be heating it. I know I have a lot of questions but first chickens, first winter etc. Love love these girls.

Hi, I've been on the site once before as Gabbychick but was unable to sign in so now I'm Gabbychicky. Question...I have 2 beautiful Light Brahma chicken who are about 71/2 to 8 months old. They have settled into their tractor well and love the added area I've fenced off for them. I'm wondering when I should move them to their winter coop which is a dog kennel refitted to be a very secure chicken coop. The girls have not laying yet, they are molting now and the days are getting shorter. Should I put a light in the coop for 14 hours to force them to lay???? probably not the right word. I don't want to harm their productivity. We live in upstate New York and our winters can be brutal. The coop is insulated with windows but I will not be heating it. I know I have a lot of questions but first chickens, first winter etc. Love love these girls.

I would move them into their winter home. You could but a light in their coop but i don't like to do that chickens are not egg laying machines, but its up to you. It's normal for chickens to stop laying and "put on their winter coat". Like dogs they shed or molt their summer feathers and put on a softer downy under a layer of feathers. Have they started squatting and checking out the nesting boxes? That's a sign they are going to lay soon. here is a link for winter. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures
What breed are they?

Last edited:
My brahmas were about 7 months before they started to lay (Jan) but once they did, they continued through the winter without a blip. I did not give them additional light the first winter. Light at this point is not going to make them feather faster. Give them a high protein treat while they are molting.

I like the idea of not extra light for their first winter. I do feel them superworms everyday. They love...love...love...them. They get oatmeal with goji berries every other day and lots of greens all along with organic layer whole grain feed, hope I'm not overdoing anything. They love corn on the cob cooked but turn their noses up at cracked corn??

Back
Top Bottom