My goat won't stop headbutting me

It's a dominance thing. Put his face in the dirt. It broke mine. I grabbed him by the horns and put his nose to the ground every time he came at me. He'll learn pretty quick then who is dominant. P.S. Ya can't hurt their head
wink.png

is he a buck? my buck does that all the time.
rant.gif
Right now, he lives tied up (within our main goat pen) because yes, i don't doubt he would chase and butt me. While I haven't gotten butted yet, I know it would hurt. I would reccomend a spray bottle of water to spray your buck, or, even better, dunk a whole bucket of water on him. The previous owners of my buck had NO idea how to raise a buck, and he's turned out poorly. I usually handle him by the horns. OH, and, my goat is a 60lb pygmy. If your goat is any bigger than that, he is very dangerous. (Someone I know was hospitalized after her ram butted her).

I would make an enclosure for him that you do not have to enter or you can get away from him easily (like a 10-20ft rope/cable so you can jump out of range, should he challenge you).

I'm ''getting rid'' of my buck later this spring. I consider him way too dangerous & destructive to keep around. Maybe you can get your buck wethered? It won't help entirely, but it should tone his behavior down a little.

Hope this helps,

Froggy V.

Last edited:
Please do not take what I am about to say as attacking anyone. To each their own. I have 2 Billy's. A year old. They both get tempermental at times. I never back down from them. At times they especially the older get testy at times. I do not have the problems with mine that others seem to have. I have (my own experience) never allowed them to be mean. I have sprayed them with water even hit them(not hurt) between their horns. I have a female that lives right next to them. The older one needs to be thumped on his nose once in awhile. But I can turn my back on him and love on him and his brother all the time. This is just my experience. I am not saying anyone else is wrong. Goats are to smart for their own good. Proper training is imporant from day 1. Good luck

1 of my goats tried to butt my friend...who I got the goats from. She went running after him screaming, grabbed him by the horns, straddled him. He kept throwing his head around but she held on to him. SHe did this for about 5 minutes and he gave up and relaxed. When she let him go he walked away and hes never attempted to do it to her again.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest not sticking the goat in the head. Goats are engineered to head stuff and you will not only encourage the behavior but majority of the time you lose the game. I would suggest the water gun thing aim for the face and ears, but only when the negative behavior is being displayed. I will give you the same advice I give my dog training clients. “If you act like a dog and the dog treats you like a dog you will not like it, so don’t act like a goat b/c head butts are standard social protocol for goats. I chance adding to your misery by getting it another goat to keep it company? Be sure and get the same sex as the one you already have if not trouble will follow (5 month later), a wether (neutered male) should be easy to find and affordable. But be careful goat math is kind of like chicken math ha ha good luck

Quote:
I would strongly suggest not sticking the goat in the head. Goats are engineered to head stuff and you will not only encourage the behavior but majority of the time you lose the game. I would suggest the water gun thing aim for the face and ears, but only when the negative behavior is being displayed. I will give you the same advice I give my dog training clients. “If you act like a dog and the dog treats you like a dog you will not like it, so don’t act like a goat b/c head butts are standard social protocol for goats. I chance adding to your misery by getting it another goat to keep it company? Be sure and get the same sex as the one you already have if not trouble will follow (5 month later), a wether (neutered male) should be easy to find and affordable. But be careful goat math is kind of like chicken math ha ha good luck

It sounds like whoever raised him thought it was funny to spar with him so now he thinks its okay. The best advice I ever got was from a goat person on this forum that told me goats discipline each other by biting ears. So whenever one of mine acts up I give them a good ear pinch. ( I bet you thought I was gonna say I bite their ear:lol:) This has worked wonders with them. I retrained a rescue buck with this and brought up 3 babies. It helped with the headbutting & the biting. Now I'm not talking a mean ear twisting pinch, just enough that they feel it. You'd be surprised by how quickly they learn.

I have a HUGE Alpine buck and he is always jumping on his hind legs and ramming me down! Gosh! He almost broke my leg! And you say pig-mes are dangerous! MWahahaha! My goat is dangerous! Type in Alpine buck on the internet. They are some of the biggest goats. I am thinking about selling him for like 2500. Because he is wortha lot of money. lol. HE IS DANGEROUS! He hates me to0. Which only makes it worse for me. His sisters baby is starting to ram my leg for fun but....I don't want him to turn out like his uncle! WHAT THE CRAP NUGGETS DO I DO??? I push his face aside and go about my business but he comes up to me and wants to play! ARGHHHH I don't want him to be like His uncle!

I have a HUGE Alpine buck and he is always jumping on his hind legs and ramming me down! Gosh! He almost broke my leg! And you say pig-mes are dangerous! MWahahaha! My goat is dangerous! Type in Alpine buck on the internet. They are some of the biggest goats. I am thinking about selling him for like 2500. Because he is wortha lot of money. lol. HE IS DANGEROUS! He hates me to0. Which only makes it worse for me. His sisters baby is starting to ram my leg for fun but....I don't want him to turn out like his uncle! WHAT THE CRAP NUGGETS DO I DO??? I push his face aside and go about my business but he comes up to me and wants to play! ARGHHHH I don't want him to be like His uncle!

Back
Top Bottom