My goose is in the infirmary :(

DuckyBoys

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Colorado
Somehow she hurt her leg in the pasture. I know it wasn't the dogs or the donkeys because they were all in the other pasture when it happened. She must have gotten it stuck in something and twisted it.
sad.png

She's exhausted from limping I think. Poor thing.
sad.png
No cuts or bleeding so dunno, must be a sprain.

idunno.gif

injured1.jpg

injured2.jpg

Sorry she is injured.

Looking at your photos can I warn you to put a layer of newspapers out around the edges of that crate to cover the carpet? I hate the way when they poop. It can go out between the crate wires and mess up EVERYTHING. You may even want to put something over that table leg.

I have cleaned my share of goose and duck poop in the house and you find the splashes and poop in the dangedest places!

Is she an American Buff? That's the first thing I thought, just as Miss Prissy, the squirt gun method flies fast, far and furious;) And, you are very brave and kind hearted to have her in the house! She's beautiful and I sincerely hope she fully recovers and can join her flock again... I've got four Am Buff goslings my Pilgrims (2) think are theirs but their eggs must have frozen and have not been successful in hatching the past three years for their previous owner. She seems very content to be alone in your home, she must be really exhausted to be that calm away from the flock...poor girl!

Thanks guys, yes I will put up some newspaper, the first thing she did was squirt out a few good ones, barely missed the carpet.
smile.png
(She's in the school room - not the dining room like it appears!)

Yes, she's one of my buffs, and I think she was actually thrilled to come inside. I saw the the rest of the flock come around the barn and hang out - but she was missing. When I got out there she was limping along the fence trying to catch up with them.
sad.png
She drank- ate (which was a treat usually they don't eat feed until night time) and then went right to sleep. (She did find time to hiss at the weiner dog though!)

Hopefully she'll rcover in a few days.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well I put her back in the barn this morning - she was getting pretty restless. I made her stay in an empty pen with two of my runner drakes that she is bonded with so she won't have to follow all the others as they forage. The other 3 geese and the other 3 runners in her "family" were beside themselves with worry - they refuse to leave the barn and just sit outside her pen quietly chatting. Poor things - now everyone is upset.

Last night I noticed she has some sores on her bill - like she's been running it against wire or something. When the dogs come up to the fence she will reach out and snap them on the nose - I'm wondering if they got her back?? It is not a new sore - I thought it was just a dirty spot from dabbling in the mud - but it isn't. I bet it happened like a week ago or more. She is eating and drinking and swimming and preening just fine in the barn, but still limping. I guess she just needs some time off?

I checked her feet for bumble and there is nothing there - such a sweetie though - she let me do whatever I wanted and then I was petting her and she fell asleep.

love.gif
Buff geese are awesome!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom