My gorgeous rooster is a ....

BigTreeFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
This rooster, Spex, is about 7 months old. He was pure black when he came out of the shell, but has changed significantly since he was little. He came from a free-ranging farm that had a bunch of different breeds of hens and roosters. My other chicken friends don't have many ideas for me in identifying what he is. Obviously a mixed breed, so I don't expect a definite answer.But he's so beautiful I want to hatch his babies.

Attachments

• 20230314_124341.jpg
    20230314_124341.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230314_124116.jpg
    20230314_124116.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice!

He’s only a cockerel, though. He becomes a rooster at 1 year old.

What color is his skin, under his feathers? Looks like clean legs (no feathers). Only 4 toes? Bc 5 toes might indicate parentage from a 5 toed breed, and there are only a few 5-toed breeds.

But, yes, a mixed breed. Any chicks from him would be mixed as well.

Nice!

He’s only a cockerel, though. He becomes a rooster at 1 year old.

What color is his skin, under his feathers? Looks like clean legs (no feathers). Only 4 toes? Bc 5 toes might indicate parentage from a 5 toed breed, and there are only a few 5-toed breeds.

But, yes, a mixed breed. Any chicks from him would be mixed as well.
Pale skin. 3 toes. Tried catching him earlier and he gave us the run around. Finally got ahold of him when they roosted for the night.

Pale skin. 3 toes. Tried catching him earlier and he gave us the run around. Finally got ahold of him when they roosted for the night.
Good. Skin color varies by breed, so it is a clue.

You’re likely has 4 toes- with one to the back. There are only 5 breeds with 5 toes, so that is why I asked. Here is my Red Dorking Rooster - Dorkings have 5 toes. There are two towards the back in addition to his spur.
F630131E-AEB2-450C-9721-7D3A566B3772.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom