My goslings and their personalities- please help me with next steps

ChiGMama

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
While walking around my neighborhood, I encountered two newly hatched goslings who were wet and trying to stand on my feet. When I continued walking they chased me and kept trying to sit on my feet. It was early spring and about 38 degrees outside. They looked like they were shivering and their mother and father were no were in sight. I did not know much about geese so I googled it and learned that if they don't have feathers they cannot regulate their body temperature. In the event a parent is not nearby they were abandoned and stand no chance on their own. There were coyote sightings in the area and I felt bad for these two little guys. I walked home with them following me the whole way and when I closed the door to my house I could hear them crying on the sidewalk. They couldn't jump onto the deck and literally sounded like they were crying. I opened the door and got a happy chirp noise from both of them. I got my phone back out and checked my weather app. It was going to get below freezing that night and they would surely not make it. I walked over and put my hands out and they jumped into my palms and sat down. They closed their eyes and sounded like they were purring. Shuttering/doing a little shiver with their necks while their eyes remained closed, their necks bent and while sitting down. I have never seen any wild animal ask for help like this and I knew I couldn't leave them outside.

I put them in a box, gave them water, and lettuce I had in my fridge. I turned out the lights to go to bed and they cried. I turned them back on and got a happy chirp. They were relentless. Finally out of exhaustion, I picked them up and they promptly closed their eyes and settled down making that purr/shiver. I needed sleep so decided to sleep on the sofa with them wrapped up in a blanket in my arms. They slept soundly through the night. Little did I know that after doing more research the following day that they would imprint on me. They were happy so long as they could see me or be near me. But if I left the room even briefly, a heart wrenching cry. They also watch you constantly, so you have no hope of sneaking away unnoticed.

Due to the pandemic, dropping them off at a shelter wasn't possible and I couldn't bring myself to put them outside when we had another expected Spring frost. So I got a guinea pig cage, some wet pads, non medicated chick starter, meal worms, and mixed salad greens. I moved them into my room at night so they could still see me and each night tucked them into a blanket so they would be warm. It took them a few days to sleep through the night. I feel like they have bad eyesight because if I turned my lights off they would cry, pace anxiously, chest butt the cage, and would clearly be distressed. It would be so intense that sleeping through that was impossible and holding them each night was not happening. They are little poop machines after all. I put in a night light and that resolved the problem. But God forbid you get up to pee in the middle of the night and they would cry loudly until you returned for your happy greeting.

They both loved to be held and followed me everywhere. Like a baby, I noticed that they had distinctive cues as to what they were saying. There was a distinctive eh eh eh sound that they would do while maintaining perfect eye contact but while pacing forward and backward. This meant they were out of food or water. Once you refilled it they would stop and go back to whatever they were dong. If they stuck their neck out while opening their mouth with a curled tongue with a repeated cheerful sounding ehuh ehuh, it was a greeting that would stop after a minute. If you left their sight, you would first hear a high pitched fast hmmm. Then it would progressively get higher pitched, louder and more frequent. This is their cry which was accompanied by pacing side to side while they chest butted the cage looking in your direction. Once you returned you would get the greeting.

I read online that males grow 10% larger than the females and one was clearly bigger than the other. I assumed I had a male and a female. I gave them warm baths in my jacuzzi tub and would put them up on the edge. The girl would jump in immediately and dive underwater and swirl around the tub. The boy was much more reserved. He had to be coaxed in. But once in the water he warmed up. His hesitation was clear in that he would get just up to the edge to jump, curl his feet over the side of the tub, bow his head and teeter totter while watching the girl in the tub. He made a slow paced eh long pause eh sound until finally slipping in ungracefully. This happened almost every time.

The girl loved to play in the tub while the boy just wanted to stand there observing. She would get irritated with him standing there and try to nip at him. He would ignore her or move away. She decided it would entertain her to zoom around the tub under water and would come up intentionally under his feet and tip him over. He would freak out flap his wings and yap at her. Then she would do it again and nip his feet and try to tip him over. So funny.

They also had different diet preferences. The girl loves greens, micro greens, and grass. While the boy especially loves worms and the unmedicated chick starter. The girl never ate the chick starter and the boy never ate his micro greens. I decided to stop giving them equal portions of everything and curtailed it to their preferences and everything was from them on devoured with no waste.

They love to follow you around and will even chase after you flapping their wings while they hop if you get too far away for their comfort. But as they got bigger they liked being held less. If you put your palms down on the ground and they want to be held they will walk into your hands and sit down. If you try to pick them up and they don’t want you to, they run from you. Best bet is to sit near them and wait for them to come hop up on you. They really like being close to you, so it happens pretty fast. Once they could no longer fit in my the palm of my hand, you have to put two hands down to pick them up because each of their big feet takes up the whole palm of your hand and they like their feet supported.

Once in your lap, they love their cheeks pet. I noticed they dislike when I try to put my hand over them and pet their back. They are not dogs. Instead they preferred for me stroke their chest with my hand coming in from below (not above). They also really like when you rest your hand on their back but don’t like their back pet. If you rub their cheeks they will stretch their neck out. The girl would literally open her wings, stretch out her legs and neck and look like a dead goose in my lap. It was so cute and she clearly was comfortable and happy.

After a month, I could definitively tell they were in fact boy and girl. I named him Rascal and her Honey. From what I can tell and in cross referencing google, the girl has an all black dark beak. They boy has a lighter wider beaker with a light mark on it. His feet are bigger and he is larger in torso than her. His wings also are coming in much faster than hers. On his back side his tail feathers are kind of rounded like an extra wide U shape while hers look like they come to more of rounder V. His cheeks are also puffier and he is way more insecure. She has a slender face, less puffy cheeks and is fine sitting by herself as long as she can still see you. They boy requires to be in 2ft proximity to you at all times.

There was also a few times they started fighting. The boy started it but the girl finished it. She ripped out some of the feathers in his neck. There was also a few times that he tried to sit with her but his big feet got in the way and he stepped on her. She would get mad and squak at him. He would turn to run and she would reach her little neck out and rip out his tail feathers. When they attack each other they hold the other ones feathers in their mouth and kind of spit it at the other one they come back around. So interesting.

So my son and I one day decided to take them out for a walk. They ran after us flapping their wings and hoping. It was so cute. We ran them up and down the side walk and the faster we ran the more they would flap their wings and get a slight lift off. They aren’t flying yet but soon! Dogs passed us on the side walk very confused, people through it was a sight to see, and the goslings were very friendly and entertained. One dog even rolled over on his back with his legs in the air and the goslings jumped over him and then sat down right by his side. He was a big husky who thought he was lap dog.

Can anyone help me from here? We know they were born too early but now that they are healthy and their feathers are almost in to where they can maintain their own temperature, when will they leave and fly away? Will they be adopted into another gaggle if we find a flock that has goslings of a similar age when we take more walks? Will they ever come back to visit? They are wild and we don’t want to keep them from their natural habitat but we have frown attached and are very curious for more information on next steps. Please advise if you have any experience or advice. Thank you!

That was awesome to read but since you've been keeping them so long, I don't think they could ever be released back into the wild. Either you now have two Goose friends or you can try to find a wildlife preserve or something to take them in.

What species are they? Are they Canada geese? Im not sure what country you’re in but that’s the most likely possibility if you’re in North America. I’m wondering because you mentioned they were wild. Honestly at this age if they are Canada geese they’re to friendly with humans and dogs to ever stand a chance at survival in the wild so you’re their family for the long haul.
There are waterfowl sanctuaries that may take them in if they become to much of a handful, it’s actually illegal in the U.S to keep wild geese without a permit so this may be a tricky situation.

There’s a few things with the story that makes me suspect that they weren’t entirely wild. Even wild goslings will fear humans initially, fear anything that doesn’t look like a goose if that’s what they were used to, I’m thinking your poor babies were abandoned not by geese but by a person, it would explain why two such young birds were out so early in cold conditions and so willing to follow the closest thing that resembled what they think was their parent.
Unfortunately it’s very common for people to buy goslings and ducklings from feed stores and leave them at a park, pond, or anywhere outside mistakenly thinking that they can fend for themselves. If that’s the case you have two domestic geese, they’ll never really have the ability to fly, their bodies grow to large for their wings and flight muscles.

Species of wild geese aren’t sold at feed stores but people do keep, breed, and sell them under permit. Maybe yours came from a breeder and somehow ended up on their own? Sometimes people hatch eggs they “found” but then abandon them once they realized they weren’t able to care for them. So that could still be a possibility.

If you’d like to post a picture of them it might help to narrow down species or breed if they are domestic geese.

Thank you so much for the replies!

We hadn't considered that a human released/abandoned them. That would explain why they weren't scared of me and kept following me.

We are pretty certain they are Canadian Geese because that is what is most common in our area. I certainly don't want to be fined for saving them, nor do I think keeping them even with a permit is very practical for me.

My parents have a friend that raises geese and ducks that live on their retention pond. Their area is also surrounded by small lakes. They informed us that those geese have goslings about the same age. So this weekend we are going to drive over there with some kayaks and see if we can get our goslings to assimilate into their group. Then we can kayak next to them in the lake.

I would think they would be happier with their own kind. Plus that is a much better area than where we live due to all the grass and lakes. My parent's friend also tends to them and puts out food. So this group isn't entirely wild but gets to roam free as they see fit.

I hope they will want to stay with them and hope the other group accepts them. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• The day they found me.jpg
    The day they found me.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Tired.jpg
    Tired.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Sitting on me.jpg
    Sitting on me.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 21
I took these pictures last night so you can see how big they are now. I have had them for about 3-4 weeks.

Attachments

• Growing up.jpg
    Growing up.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Sleeping.jpg
    Sleeping.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 21
A few more cute pictures...

Attachments

• Chilling under the heat lamp.jpg
    Chilling under the heat lamp.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 21
  • Holding them.jpg
    Holding them.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Sitting 2.jpg
    Sitting 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Sitting.jpg
    Sitting.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Sleeping on me.jpg
    Sleeping on me.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 18
Beautiful! They do look like Canada geese, their younger than I thought so there’s a good chance of them being accepted by the older geese. Canada geese often adopt goslings, they actually will even steal them from other geese, and these guys have a lot of time to learn from the older geese if they get adopted.

So we just attempted to get them adopted. My parent's friend currently has 3 families of geese. We walked them over and my two goslings stayed right at our feet. We took the kayak out and they were very nervous in the pond and wouldn't dive.

One mother goose swam out to us and tried to take them. I backed away and hid on the side behind some brush. I could hear them crying and could peek through and see that the mother goose was trying really hard. She got them over to her gaggle and she tried to get them on land with her group. My goslings did get on land with her but then promptly jumped back in the water and swam around in circles crying. She tried literally 5 times.

My goslings swam to the other side of the pond still crying and the mother goose and father goose got back in the water and chased after them with their babies. The mother goose then pushed them up onto land again and they started walking with them to a large field of grass. I was so happy to see that they were finally going with her.

I watched for about 15 minutes. Their gaggle was busy eating grass but my goslings were still crying. Then a man walked by to check them out and my goslings made a run for him. They got to him and then started screaming and pacing in circles. They could tell it wasn't me. Then all of sudden a dog took off from a near by house towards the group of geese. All of them dove into the pond and the dog jumped in after them. They were all much faster than the dog and the male goose honked and scared the dog away. At that point, nervous that the dog would get out of the pond and go for my two goslings who were still on land, I got out of the kayak and ran back over to them.

The good news is that the mother goose was willing to take them. Now my goslings just need to get comfortable with them. We are going to give it a couple hours and try again. It is so sweet that they are so attached to us but I really want them to happy with their own kind.

Back
Top Bottom