My greenhouse frame retro to coop in an existing dog run

Will79

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Salisbury, NC
Lots of great info here but wanted to post the start to my new coop build based on a metal tube frame from a greenhouse (cheap start for framing with plywood 8x6x8 roughy-plastic is recycled for another greenhouse project) inside of an existing long since used dog run (22.5x12).

This is a bit of a ping post but bear with me. :)

Back story-moved back to NC from north GA to take care of my mom and MIL and we left our coop there after a family of foxes moved in. Won’t go into details short of once I discovered the flaws in the small run after losing my 6 girls and started back—young chickens aka 3 months will still stick their heads out out of fencing making an easy target.

For now just starting pictures. I’m awaiting chicks to raise separately in the garage secured.

My plans for the coop are ground level with a wood frame exterior with plywood exterior (interior framing will be more varmint/draft control). 12” overhang on all sides with HC covering vents that will be hinged to be able to close/adjust both under the overhang and in the top on each end.

Likely 8 nesting boxes elevated off the ground split 4 on either side (gotta give the girls options though I know they will have favorites) with hinged access. Poop trays with roosts above nesting boxes with cutting board bottoms (easier cleanup and I have the material) but under the vents for draft control.

Planning a single entry for humans on one side (facing the gates side) and chicken entrance with door (still planning that option but have a few) facing the other side where food and water will be on/around the rocks as part of the run (less mud in theory).

For the chain link I plan to mitigate the gaps (lots of fun here) with a combo of wood/HC and cover the sides up to 3’ with HC plus 1’ skirt since known predators are Fox, raccoons, hawks, weasels (none seen in my life here but being NC), skunks, Electric fence I’ll evaluate based on video footage (have powe/good solar for cameras to monitor).

Will be covering the top with either HC or hog fencing-once I have the coop built will work on those specifics but secure/firm is key-have plenty of wire to tie into the fence.

In case it’s asked-will be cleaning it out first-I may leave some of the growth but at least removing what I need for the coop.

I have a much larger open run thru one gate that is used for growing gourds and while my 70ish yr old mom plans to keep growing will wrap those how I can but also run paracord across the top to discourage hawks (chickens will be in there under supervision not freely in very day).

Off to plan more!

Attachments

• 0AD9292E-B207-469B-87D3-2B0FFCD5F749.jpeg
    0AD9292E-B207-469B-87D3-2B0FFCD5F749.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 14E2F03C-35F7-423E-979B-5D2116AA9050.jpeg
    14E2F03C-35F7-423E-979B-5D2116AA9050.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 02F0D9EE-4C23-45E1-B96A-D99876F6EC64.jpeg
    02F0D9EE-4C23-45E1-B96A-D99876F6EC64.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • AF89AF66-EDEA-40B8-9B96-489F0ECC49DA.jpeg
    AF89AF66-EDEA-40B8-9B96-489F0ECC49DA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
Lots of great info here but wanted to post the start to my new coop build based on a metal tube frame from a greenhouse (cheap start for framing with plywood 8x6x8 roughy-plastic is recycled for another greenhouse project) inside of an existing long since used dog run (22.5x12).

This is a bit of a ping post but bear with me. :)

Back story-moved back to NC from north GA to take care of my mom and MIL and we left our coop there after a family of foxes moved in. Won’t go into details short of once I discovered the flaws in the small run after losing my 6 girls and started back—young chickens aka 3 months will still stick their heads out out of fencing making an easy target.

For now just starting pictures. I’m awaiting chicks to raise separately in the garage secured.

My plans for the coop are ground level with a wood frame exterior with plywood exterior (interior framing will be more varmint/draft control). 12” overhang on all sides with HC covering vents that will be hinged to be able to close/adjust both under the overhang and in the top on each end.

Likely 8 nesting boxes elevated off the ground split 4 on either side (gotta give the girls options though I know they will have favorites) with hinged access. Poop trays with roosts above nesting boxes with cutting board bottoms (easier cleanup and I have the material) but under the vents for draft control.

Planning a single entry for humans on one side (facing the gates side) and chicken entrance with door (still planning that option but have a few) facing the other side where food and water will be on/around the rocks as part of the run (less mud in theory).

For the chain link I plan to mitigate the gaps (lots of fun here) with a combo of wood/HC and cover the sides up to 3’ with HC plus 1’ skirt since known predators are Fox, raccoons, hawks, weasels (none seen in my life here but being NC), skunks, Electric fence I’ll evaluate based on video footage (have powe/good solar for cameras to monitor).

Will be covering the top with either HC or hog fencing-once I have the coop built will work on those specifics but secure/firm is key-have plenty of wire to tie into the fence.

In case it’s asked-will be cleaning it out first-I may leave some of the growth but at least removing what I need for the coop.

I have a much larger open run thru one gate that is used for growing gourds and while my 70ish yr old mom plans to keep growing will wrap those how I can but also run paracord across the top to discourage hawks (chickens will be in there under supervision not freely in very day).

Off to plan more!
Can you close that gap by your gate? It looks large enough for smaller predators to squeeze through. I don't live in the US but I saw a documentary on raccoons and how crafty they can be, and was amazed at the small spaces they could squeeze through.

Can you close that gap by your gate? It looks large enough for smaller predators to squeeze through. I don't live in the US but I saw a documentary on raccoons and how crafty they can be, and was amazed at the small spaces they could squeeze through.
Yep-I’m planning on making the gates one way with lumber in all gaps (lost my previous flocks due to Fox kits (young foxes) due to the gaps (and 4 month old chickens not knowing to keep their heads in the fence). Will likely add a setup to secure hog wire from there and an adult safety mechanism to open the two gates leading in. I have 12 weeks to build and plan and test some of my designs since I know the wild life is close thanks to free apples and scraps out. I can’t fault them for wanting a free meal but I can deter them. Worse comes to worse I can electrify as a further deterrent but will cross that bridge if it comes.

So a friend is gifting me a speckled Sussex rooster and two hens-one of which is being broody on a cluster while my 8 hens are at the 3 week stage.

I’ve started planning out the enclosure of the greenhouse frame. I’m back and forth between my ocd going all new plywood for sides and metal roofing for the front or just going with recycled barn tin all around short of the door frame. Being in the Piedmont of NC (between Greensboro and Charlotte) weather can be fun so am debating and open to any ideas as I scour the site. :)

Time is always an enemy with family and work (and rain). I've made more progress since then but a quick pic. I'm debating if I want to just hardware cloth the last 22" vertical siding on the outside edges vs. more plywood. I'm planning on doing HC for the triangle areas (and cutting boards to be able to control air flow for cooler months (high teens is the coldest it gets around here for a couple days in the winter). Roof is just galvanized steel sheets bent over-hopefully get to that this week then poop board time.

If I can find some cheap or scrap linoleum I plan to line the walls behind the poop boards with that for ease of cleaning.

Attachments

• 20230423_225344876_iOS.jpg
    20230423_225344876_iOS.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
I'm debating if I want to just hardware cloth the last 22" vertical siding on the outside edges vs. more plywood. I'm planning on doing HC for the triangle areas (and cutting boards to be able to control air flow for cooler months (high teens is the coldest it gets around here for a couple days in the winter). Roof is just galvanized steel sheets bent over-hopefully get to that this week then poop board time.
Sounds good, make sure you have good deep roof overhangs to protect that open area.

Sounds good, make sure you have good deep roof overhangs to protect that open area.
Ah I knew I forgot a detail-the overhangs are 8" over the long edges-12-16" on the short ends so I think I may just bite the bullet and rip the pieces for the sides. Though on the right side in the picture it will tuck up under the awning of the shop so that side may do alright. Decisions decisions. What's a few more sheets of siding building a house for chickens to "save on eggs"? :D

BTW @aart I have your article on how high up open-poop boards and nesting box planning is next. I'm likely going with 2 8' 18" wide poop boards on the length 36" off the ground so in thinking about it more I'll have to add the siding to keep drafts higher up. Of course I can't decide if I want nesting boxes inside under the boards or a taller external version behind them (for ease of egg collection). I have some time with these 8 week olds fortunately.

Ah I knew I forgot a detail-the overhangs are 8" over the long edges-12-16" on the short ends so I think I may just bite the bullet and rip the pieces for the sides. Though on the right side in the picture it will tuck up under the awning of the shop so that side may do alright. Decisions decisions.
The ventilation is so important in your climate.
Instead of ripping more plywood, I'd do all I could to make the roof overhangs 12-18" on all sides.

What's a few more sheets of siding building a house for chickens to "save on eggs"? :D
:gig :gig:gig

Back
Top Bottom