My hen’s only hatched chick died

MelissaVree

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
One of my hens hatched her first and only chick last week. She adored the little fluffball and had bonded super strongly with it. I asked on a Facebook group whether I should let her raise it, or separate it from her, my ducks, and other chickens. I was told to provide food, and otherwise, let it be. I did. This morning, I went outside and found that the chick had drowned in the pond that the.m chickens and ducks share. Mama hen is devastated, and so am I. I blame myself. I should have known better than to leave it out where it could fall in and drown. What do I do? How do I help my hen get over her chick? I feel awful.

Oh no! Well, you never know, it definitely could have worked, it has worked for many. But I also lost new babies left w flock. Now I separate mama and babies from the flock in their own area of the coop and run for about 3 or 4 weeks. Often my mama hens are not high enuf in the pecking order to protect them.
Your hen will recover and go broody again....

I'm sorry. :hugsThere are too many things that could happen when you leave mom and chicks with the others. That is why I always recommend setting up a separate space for mamma and babies if you have the space. Your hen will get over the loss, and so will you.

The hens usuly move on faster than people do. They don't have a choice since it isn't going to come back and she can’t waste energy on mourning.

My white pheonix lost both of her chicks this year from her first batch. She's very attentive to the other clutches as a nanny, but she also acts like a normal bird now. She isn't calling for them anymore, and she's back to letting the male breed her

Back
Top Bottom