My hen is aggressive, help

Missholmes

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2018
San Diego
Need some insight. My Kentucky bourbon Jenny layer on her first clutch nothing hatched I eventually took them away. Recently my turkey has been aggressive high pitch chirping getting close to you almost as if to peck but has progressed to kicking and pecking. Stares you down displays feathers and chases you around. I’m trying not to run but I’m scared of her. I have always been sweet to her I raised her from a baby. How long does it last 8 months

Background have Tennessee sweet grass poult and blue steel Tom. Note the photo is to show you my lovies. She used to follow me around. Any advice.

From sad turkey lover

Attachments

• 3D40C68C-9032-4961-896B-A307871F7095.jpeg
    3D40C68C-9032-4961-896B-A307871F7095.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 12
  • BD14B443-7B8F-4DF3-BEAA-395BD9420E84.jpeg
    BD14B443-7B8F-4DF3-BEAA-395BD9420E84.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 9
Have you tried showing her YOU rule the roost? Chasing her around with a gentle push of your boot until she backs down can see you are the Alpha. A more hands on approach is Handle her. Pick her up and put her down a few times or gently grabbing her around the neck and pushing her to the ground, resticting movement, shows you're the boss.
The last option is Freezer Camp. In any event uncontrollable Aggression is not a behavior you want to pass on to her offspring. If an attitude adjustment does not occur in a day or two of you dominating her, as hard as it may be, she has got to go...JJ

Oh boy... I'm on my first turkey adventure! :wee

They are so different from chickens. When they lock onto something they are really focused and unrelenting. I'm barely at 9 weeks and wonder how will I react when 30# turkey is coming after me with that dead stare. And what worse is get one after you and several might join in the pursuit. They have recently gone after my very favorite chicken.. just for being seen. And then they started after one of my dogs for catching a ball near them.:barnie

Showing dominance has not worked with any of my "aggressive" roosters. It usually intensifies the activity. :he While I've had success with those who were just testing the water, it seems different than one who is intent.

Such interesting creatures! :love

Oh boy... I'm on my first turkey adventure! :wee

They are so different from chickens. When they lock onto something they are really focused and unrelenting. I'm barely at 9 weeks and wonder how will I react when 30# turkey is coming after me with that dead stare. And what worse is get one after you and several might join in the pursuit. They have recently gone after my very favorite chicken.. just for being seen. And then they started after one of my dogs for catching a ball near them.:barnie

Showing dominance has not worked with any of my "aggressive" roosters. It usually intensifies the activity. :he While I've had success with those who were just testing the water, it seems different than one who is intent.

Such interesting creatures! :love
In my experience- that’s the terrible teens of the turkey world. Show no fear. She may outstrip it.

In my experience- that’s the terrible teens of the turkey world. Show no fear. She may outstrip it.
Thanks. I feel bad for my dogs that have been taught to leave them alone. They run from the turkeys because they respect my yard rules. Push comes to shove, hopefully the dog will defend itself. I'm not actually afraid of the animals. But all my animals will continue to chase if they get something on the run. Silkie broody's are the masters of sneak attacks on innocent passer's by. :gig

But I think your post may have been intended for the OP, and good advice. :thumbsup

house pet turkey
Don't even give me any ideas... I already have two mini pigs in the house at night. :oops: Chicken math is so much more confusing than regular math! :smackThey will be moving out to pasture full time soon. I barely got the seriously thick dust off my walls from all the chicks I started or raised indoors over the past few years. Hubby said he's putting an enclosed patio station for my animal stuff. :cool:

My sister in love (law), has been talking about moving to Provo in a couple years (from Redding, Ca). You might be neighbors one day... unless you're both lucky enough to not have neighbors. :p

Speaking of broody's... they can be quite psycho. How long ago did her clutch not hatch? Did they develop at all? How long did she sit? Did she see you take them away? What are they fed? Sorry so many questions, I'm here to learn also. :pop

Thanks. I feel bad for my dogs that have been taught to leave them alone. They run from the turkeys because they respect my yard rules. Push comes to shove, hopefully the dog will defend itself. I'm not actually afraid of the animals. But all my animals will continue to chase if they get something on the run. Silkie broody's are the masters of sneak attacks on innocent passer's by. :gig

But I think your post may have been intended for the OP, and good advice. :thumbsup

Don't even give me any ideas... I already have two mini pigs in the house at night. :oops: Chicken math is so much more confusing than regular math! :smackThey will be moving out to pasture full time soon. I barely got the seriously thick dust off my walls from all the chicks I started or raised indoors over the past few years. Hubby said he's putting an enclosed patio station for my animal stuff. :cool:

My sister in love (law), has been talking about moving to Provo in a couple years (from Redding, Ca). You might be neighbors one day... unless you're both lucky enough to not have neighbors. :p

Speaking of broody's... they can be quite psycho. How long ago did her clutch not hatch? Did they develop at all? How long did she sit? Did she see you take them away? What are they fed? Sorry so many questions, I'm here to learn also. :pop

Haha well im not lucky enough to not have neighbors, one is even my sister. I do like provo though and wouldnt mind a new neighbor :)

@EggSighted4Life Just a note on dust control. My Brooder Cover is made of wood. We stapled 1/2" Hardware cloth to the frame to keep our Cats out. On top of the Hardware Cloth we stapled sheets of Fine Mesh Fiberglass Window Screen. It about $7 for 10 feet at any hardware store. 9 chickens, in the Family Room, for 13 weeks on fine Pine Shavings and only slightly more dust than normaly gathers on the furniture. None on the walls and a window AC unit is over the brooder. We only cleaned the filter once and there was more cat hair than brooder dust! My Wife is pleasantly surprised at how clean the room stayed. Bev said she would not hesitate to brood in the house again...JJ

Back
Top Bottom