Woods to Water

Hatching
Dec 30, 2023
Hey everbody, i have 2 red burbon turkeys an 11 adult chickens in a flock. Their housed in the same building,about 2 months ago i hatched some chicken eggs in the incubator and now that their old enough ive tried to introduce them to the flock but my turkey hen does not tolorate them at all, she chases them, pulls feathers, rips skin.

Ive had the chicks in a dog crate in the covered run for a little over a month, they see eachother every day but shes still really agressive an hurts them.

I dont know what to do, the chicks cant live in the dog crate forever but when i tried to intrigate the oldest chicks i ended up having to cull one because they exposed the entire back of her skull and neck.

Please leave advice, i really dontwant to kill my turkey.

Ps: the tom is fine with the chicks, he mostly ignores them

Ps:

I've had turkeys kill chickens. Personally I would separate out the turkeys. They can be a bit weird about accepting anything new, and once they decide they don't like another creature they can be relentless. I know a few people have successfully kept chickens and turkeys together, but I don't recommend it.

Hey everbody, i have 2 red burbon turkeys an 11 adult chickens in a flock. Their housed in the same building,about 2 months ago i hatched some chicken eggs in the incubator and now that their old enough ive tried to introduce them to the flock but my turkey hen does not tolorate them at all, she chases them, pulls feathers, rips skin.

Ive had the chicks in a dog crate in the covered run for a little over a month, they see eachother every day but shes still really agressive an hurts them.

I dont know what to do, the chicks cant live in the dog crate forever but when i tried to intrigate the oldest chicks i ended up having to cull one because they exposed the entire back of her skull and neck.

Please leave advice, i really dontwant to kill my turkey.

Ps: the tom is fine with the chicks, he mostly ignores them

Ps:

My advice is to keep your chickens and turkeys seperate. If that isn't possible, keep your young chickens separate until they are nearly grown and sturdy enough to survive the attacks. I keep my chickens and turkeys separate for many reasons, one reason being that my turkeys don't seem to tolerate my chickens and have seriously injured a pullet once that got over into my goat lot where some of my turkeys are kept. My turkey hens are rather spicy toward chickens and any new turkey, the males seem rather indifferent unless the new bird is another male turkey.

I wouldn't kill a turkey for natural turkey behavior. It is pretty natural for them to act that way and maintain their dominance. Their pecking order can be pretty intense. I would rehome her before I would kill her for that. The fact is, turkeys and chickens are not the same, and truly should be kept to their own kind for the safety of the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom