My HEN is CROWING????

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
So, this morning I hear LOUD crowing outside. I am confused because I have no roosters outside. I have one rooster, a micro serama, and he is INSIDE my house where I can see him. No, this was a loud crow and it was definitely outside. I went outside to find my head hen, Cinnamon, crowing?????

She was out of the coop, no one else was out yet, and she was in a weird area of the run staring at something in my yard. She was very intent on whatever she was staring at. I couldnt see anything of noteworthiness.

I'm kind of freaking out. This is a two year old hen and she lays an egg every day and I've seen her lay eggs and she's gone broody before. Um....so?????

I have a video but I cant post it.

Did she extend her neck and puff out her throat a bit when she made the noise? If so it's a crow.

I've had crowing hens and pullets before. Either there's something in my water here or its more common than people think. I believe it is caused by hormone imbalances although that's just a guess.

Why is the rooster in the house? Have things changed outside recently?

When I separated out some of my flock when integrating last year and was dealing with some bullies, I had a hen who got all out of sorts and crowed for three or four days.

Back
Top Bottom