My "hen" is crowing...

rachel2293

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2019
I have two Americaunas that are 5 1/2 months old. I knew Coopcake was a rooster from the time his wattles started to show, but was sure Popcorn was a girl. She doesn't have wattles, just a bunch of fluff on her cheeks and neck. But yesterday, I realized she was crowing. Does she think its funny to copy her brother? Or were we mistaken assuming she's a girl? (Coopcake on the left, Popcorn on the right)

Coopcake.jpg
Popcorn 1.jpg
popcorn-2-jpg.2055893

Attachments

• Popcorn 2.jpg
    Popcorn 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks guys, just curious how can you tell? I'll try to get a side view pic of Popcorn's tail, but it doesn't curve like Coopcake's. I also have a laying hen who has been at the top of the pecking order since I introduced everyone, which would surprise me if she's the only girl living with two boys!

Thanks guys, just curious how can you tell?
Hens can and do crow... but never have I seen it at that age.

The easiest way to tell...
1584636398295.png

Aside from saddle feathers the color of the wings. Curve is irrelevant it's pointy saddle feather that don't lie in most breeds once they've started coming in.

I ALMOST wanna give those guys a pass as wheaten Ameraucana.. but the one with big wattles is beardless... which is why his wattles are much larger than the other guys... bearding gene inhibits wattle size.

ETA: Also those are HUGE for pea combs.

Both are cockerels indeed. :hmm

Hens can and do crow... but never have I seen it at that age.

The easiest way to tell...
View attachment 2055950

Aside from saddle feathers the color of the wings. Curve is irrelevant it's pointy saddle feather that don't lie in most breeds once they've started coming in.

I ALMOST wanna give those guys a pass as wheaten Ameraucana.. but the one with big wattles is beardless... which is why his wattles are much larger than the other guys... bearding gene inhibits wattle size.

ETA: Also those are HUGE for pea combs.

Both are cockerels indeed. :hmm

LOL I think we posted at the same time!

JINX!!!

Back
Top Bottom