My hen was attacked by dog, what are her chances of living?

Olive_C

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2017
So our friends brought their dog over and let her off of the leash because she stays pretty close to them. Our hens are free range and weren’t anywhere nearby at the time so we didn’t think much of it. A little while later we heard chickens screaming on the other side of the house. Murphy (the dog) caught one of our chickens by the neck and we had to chase her about fifteen feet before she dropped her. The hen, Bernie, stood up after a minute, and she seemed to be in shock so we let her be for the night after she walked to the coop on her own. This morning she does turn her head this way and that, but she’s keeping her head withdrawn towards her body and acting very listless. We haven’t seen her peck anything, she won’t stretch her neck out to eat. One of her eyes she keeps mostly shut also, because I think it got hurt by the dogs tooth. What are the chances her neck isn’t broken and she’ll be okay? We don’t really do vets for chickens, and I hate to let her suffer if she’s not going to get better.

Have you checked her over for injuries?
Are her eyes swollen or weeping?
She should be brought into the house to keep her warm and let her rest while also getting a complete exam for injuries. She was in shock from this and may still be in shock. Warmth helps a LOT. She may have internal injuries. She may have injured muscles or ligaments in her neck. I'd advise a thorough exam and possibly putting some verticyn opthalmic or other eye ointment in her eye to help with potential bacteria issues.

Awe, that's a shame. I would just say time will tell, but in the meantime, you could put her in a warm, dry location with food and water close by. (Maybe a large dog crate with some fresh straw and a dish of food and water.) Maybe put some electrolites in the water. Really get ahold of her and examine the neck for flesh wounds or see if you can feel any broken bones. I might recommend antibiotics for a flesh wound so infection doesn't start. Good luck and really the best you can do is be sure she is comfy.....time will tell.....and of course do the right thing if the suffering seems too great....(So sorry to say that...)

She doesn't have a broken neck if she can walk, but internal injuries or a leaking air sac could be possible. Check her over for cuts, puncture wounds, or trapped air under her skin. Offer a small cup of water to her beak, and dip it for a second to get her drinking. Neck injuries or wry neck can be common. Vetericyn or plain neosporin for cuts. I hope she gets over it.

I'm sorry this happened and I'm so glad she made it through the night, that's a decent sign that she might make it. I highly recommend Vetricyn cleanser & therapy spray. You can get it at most feed stores. It is expensive (mine was twenty bucks for a little bottle), but it is worth it. Spray it on any open wound, it can even be used for her eye.

Back
Top Bottom