My hens are working together with their chicks

Pics

Kat2141

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Windsor, NY
hi all, I've read the forums off and on but just now joined. I'm fairly new to chickens. I just thought I'd share a little about my girls. I got some red-sex-link chicks last year from the local Tractor Supply. It was still very cold outside, so they started out in the house and were later moved outside to our barn to a 10x10 stall that was no longer used, with access to a fenced 15' by 40' yard. They have been egg laying machines! Back in mid-June one decided she wanted to set. I have no rooster, so I know the eggs were not fertile. Well, I thought... why not? So I got on Craigslist and looked for fertile eggs. I found a lady that sold me a dozen (mixed breeds) for $1.75. I didn't really count on many, if any, hatching. I really didn't "need" any more but figured I could deal with a couple if they made it and my niece wanted some chicks too.

A couple days after I gave her the dozen, one of the other hens climbed into the nest box with her and stayed there. So I moved her to the box next door and gave her 6 of the eggs. They were pretty much happy (but both preferred the box on the left, haha) and sat on their eggs. One day, almost 3 weeks later, I noticed something white under the one girl, I got it out and found it was one of the eggs... the shell was mostly gone but the membrane was still strong and intact. The chick was dead that was in it. A couple hours later, I heard peeping under one of the them. All of the 11 remaining eggs hatched out in a day! (I had to help the very last one, but it lived). When they were a day old, my daughter reached in to pick one up (they don't really know her). The mama in the opposite box went into the box to, I guess, help defend the other's clutch. I ended up removing the board that separated the 2 boxes and all of the chicks and the 2 hens were together in a large box.

Anyway, now the 2 girls are taking care of all of the chicks together. They both will show them where to eat, drink, look for bugs and whatever. They are just now going outside because the coop door is raised and they have to go up a ramp to go out and back in. But the girls go out with the ones that are adventurous to watch over them there... sometimes, one stays inside with the rest, sometimes not. They are not real friendly to their 2 "sisters" right now but those 2 can quite often free range, if I'm home I will let them out of the outdoor run. My M-I-L has had chickens for years and says that she never had hens work together like they do. I was just curious if it was really all that uncommon or if it is something hens will often do. Also, how long do they typically act to protective with the chicks - as far as with the other chickens in the stall with them? I have a lot of raised area for the others to be on and they don't spend much time on the floor with the chicks because the 2 mamas don't like it. This has been quite an experience. I love watching them. And the chicks are sooo cute. They are mostly black, most have white butts and white on their chest and/or head. Some of them have "hairy" feet and legs now.

here are a couple pics. :)
20180707_202751.jpg
20180716_113133.png

How sweet!
We had our ladies hatch eggs & they’ve usually turned into super proud hyper protective mums who wouldn’t let another hen so much look at their chicks without major chicken outrage resulting - weve never had an “auntie” situation like yours - I think you have a wonderful happy family there!

Anvia, that is what my Mother-in-law says hers were always like. She was even surprised at how my girls let me lift them to look at the eggs whenever I wanted. I know the chicks won't be quite as "tame" because they won't have the same exposure to me as the ones I got last year. My girls come running if they are out free-ranging and spot me. Their favorite thing to do is hang out on the porch with us in the afternoons. :)

I have hatched them in the incubator, raised them for 10 days and then turned them loose and the hens almost always take them under the wing..... It is a great situation because they teach them. I find it helps the flock overall.

My hens will not let them out. They keep them inside til they are so grown I have to encourage them to go out as young adults. But that is good because a young bird will attract a predator quickly. I am fixing to try it this weekend as I have four chicks that will be 12 days old. (weekends are good so you can keep an eye on them initially)

Back
Top Bottom