My homemade incubator **BABY PICS!!**

Yep - considering I started with shipped eggs, a brand new homemade incubator and a complete lack of any experience, I'm just glad we've gotten this far with as many!

My DH asked me... so what are we going to do if ALL of them make it from here???

Knowing Murphy's law, I'll either lose them all, or worse yet have all 11 hatch and 10 of the 11 will be roos...
tongue.png

Ah, I'll cross THAT bridge later...
smile.png

Weeelllll, it's FINALLY here... up the humidity and stop the turning because we're at the start of day 19!

I'm down to 10 eggs now. Had one more suspected quitter on day 15. I finally gave up on it after seeing no change for 3 days and removed it. When I checked it out, it was evident the chick had stopped developing a few days before - probably around day 11 which was the last time I saw movement. And it was a blue/black/spl
sad.png

But, good news is we have 10 eggs left from the original 14, and all 10 had movement tonight when we candled for the last time.

I've sealed all the humidity vent holes at the top, added water and am DETERMINED not to open that lid any more until we get some dry chicks!!

3 more days....
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Well, I am proud of the progress so far, but it's all thanks to you guys!

Now, I have to think if setting up the brooder is going to jinx me or now... I think I'll just wait until I get at least one wet baby in that bator...
jumpy.gif

Good Luck hunny!!!!!!! I am so exited for you!!! So, all in all... the igloo-bator turned out to work!!! YAY
yippiechickie.gif
I can start building mine now!!!!!!! LOL... I have the wiggler in hand.... and thats it
lau.gif
guess I need to save up the funds and get the rest of my supplies
big_smile.png

I'm
fl.gif
for a good turnout with the remaining little ones!!!!!!

Quote:
So, just out of curiosity (I have never hatched eggs) did you leave anything open so they could get enough oxygen? How does that all work if you are trying to keep the humidity up? Enquiring minds want to know....
smile.png

I don't know, but I seem to recall her drilling oxygen holes in that bator. I always try to leave as much open as possible even while trying to maintain humidity. I do think many hatches are botched due to lack of oxygen, so good point to bring up.

Back
Top Bottom