My idea for a coop

amandacv86

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
I live in the city(Fresno, CA) and they don't technically allow chickens, however a lot of people have them anyway and the city doesn't really enforce it unless someone complains. I plan on talking to all of the neighbors immediately around us before we get them. I hear a rooster all the time and of the two neighbors across the street, one has a duck and the other has two chickens.

Anyway, I don't want a coop that screams "I'm a chicken coop!" LOL

I have a plan so far and wanted to run it by the pros before I proceed. Anyway, in the picture is the aviary we just built about a week ago. It's 8x12. I'm thinking of building the coop about 4 feet away from the aviary along the north side, but make it 6X12. The north and west side will look like regular wooden fencing, 6 ft tall which are the sides visible from the street. The east and south sides will be wire. The roof will be a little bit lower than the fence so it won't be seen from the street, I'm thinking tinted corrugated roofing to allow some light in, with half of the roof just chicken wire. Inside will be the coop and run.

I'm hoping this will be sufficient for 4-8 hens. I want to use the deep litter method and raise bugs such as mealworms, crickets, and black soldier fly larva for them since I won't be able to free range.

Thanks in advance!

What type of parrot do you have in the aviary? Ever thought of using that as the run for the chickens? I can't imagine your birds are on the ground very much and it would save space in your yard.

That's a great idea, however I do have a pair button quail in there, and after their lifespan is over I'd like to get Coturnix quail again. I can't have both structures connected either, because then it would count as one structure and anything over 120 sq ft I would need a permit for.

I'll probably be posting pictures in here ;). I'm so excited but I'm trying not to rush it since I'll need to just build it as money allows. Going to sell the extra bird cages that I don't need since building the aviary. I'm thinking since the roof would slope down below the fence I can create a "dry river" with gravel and use a gutter to allow it to drain away from the wood. I hope that makes sense.

Oh I have Cockatiels, Parakeets, zebra finches, a diamond dove, and a pair of button quail in the aviary. I nixed my idea of putting coturnix in there because I'd hate for them to kill any fledgelings. Last time,( in my old aviary) I had them I unknowingly had a pair of Cockatiels lay eggs under the stand I built for the feeders, and they killed all of them. :( I know better than to allow any space for them to get under now but I'd rather not risk it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom