My Jumbo quail roo is injured on his backside, kind of to his left.

I am not sure how old your quail are but I can assure you that my quail are happy and healthy.

I feed my quail 28% protein gamebird starter crumble until they are about 5 weeks old and then I switch them over to 16% layer crumble.
I do not feed any treats.
I have no doubt your quail are healthy. I'm here to learn from more experienced quail owners but I'm not necessarily going to take the word of one person. There are different views on nutrition in general. I'm interested in hearing all views. But I'm not interested in getting into contentious, emotional conversations.

What is your definition of a "treat?" Are greens picked from a garden a treat? Or bugs/worms? If so, which bugs or worms??

Like I wrote before, I've read that adult quail are good at self-regulating and yet there are people that react strongly to those who feed mealworms or BSFL (or too many) saying they'll overdo and get sick. Perhaps that's true, but then, that means adult quail are not good at self-regulating

I have no doubt your quail are healthy. I'm here to learn from more experienced quail owners but I'm not necessarily going to take the word of one person. There are different views on nutrition in general. I'm interested in hearing all views. But I'm not interested in getting into contentious, emotional conversations.

What is your definition of a "treat?" Are greens picked from a garden a treat? Or bugs/worms? If so, which bugs or worms??

Like a wrote before, I've read, adult quail are good at self-regulating and yet there are people that react strongly to those who feed mealworms or BSFL (or too many) saying they'll overdo and get sick. Perhaps that's true, but then, that means adult quail are not good at self-regulating
I can't say that I've ever seen a smart quail. I find it hard to believe they can self-regulate what they eat.

I'm just saying you mentioned that you didn't think that chicken feed was good enough but I'm telling you it is good enough for adult quail because that's how I've raised mine for years with no issues.

The problem comes in when you start adding all of these extras then it takes away from them getting the close to balanced food which is the chicken feed.
If given the chance they will fill up on the junk food (mealworms) way before they eat the balanced feed.

@Ital is trying an experiment. Just started it to see if offered enough different variety will the quail end up being healthy. I would say the experiment's going to have to take 6 to 8 months to find out if it's working or not.

OH MY GOODNESS...That is way too much mealworms per each quail.
Please don't feed each bird that much.
What's your view on the space recommendations I quoted from MyShire Farms?? Do you think 20 birds in a 4X9 sq foot aviary is inviting territorial behavior and aggression??

What's your view on the space recommendations I quoted from MyShire Farms?? Do you think 20 birds in a 4X9 sq foot aviary is inviting territorial behavior and aggression??
I think Zack is nuts for cramming too may birds into a cage. He sells to make money. Big difference in what you and I keep birds for.

@U_Stormcrow Can you come see real quick?

I suck at explaining. Maybe you can say what I want to say for me?
You know what I want to say.
I'll hold off on any more mealworms until I get this figured out. Or at least stop for a week or so, then reduce to your recommendations for the time being. I'm not interested in destroying my birds. I like them. However, I still want to read various opinions. I need to learn to search this forum more effectively because I end up scanning a gazillion threads and I don't have time for that. I haven't used a forum in years.

Back
Top Bottom