My leghorn just died to today

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
hit.gif
I have been talking about her this past week, everyone seem to think she was egg bound. I checked her and felt her belly but it wasn't hard, so maybe if she was egg bound the egg may have broke in her because when I checked I had to clean the poop off of her, her vent was plugged up like they do when they are baby chicks. But I went out this morning to wake my girls up and give them breakfast and fresh water and I looked in on my sick one and she was laying there dead with a her vent plugged up again with poop. Does that happen when they are egg bound? Especially if the egg would break in them?
sad.png
hit.gif
She was 3years old.

I had a leghorn who was an internal layer and her butt was always crusted up - it was poo + egg yolk material, I believe. I was giving her daily butt baths at one point. If you are curious you could necropsy her. if she was an internal layer she'll have all this chunky cooked egg stuff in her abdominal area. I am sorry to hear about your poor lady, I love my little leghorns ..
sad.png

Last edited:
So sorry about your hen, buff. I just posted that I found our 2 yr. old hen Puffy dead in the coop this morning, frozen solid. She was our fattest, sweetest hen.

I hate this part.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom