My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

So glad to see that Nando is getting bigger now!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Did you handle him a lot as a chick? If chicks are handled a lot, I heard that they don't grow as quickly. So I avoid handling them as chicks until they grow older, but great to see big Nando
smile.png

Quote:
Well, I've pretty much handled all my little chicks about the same, not sure how that would stunt their growth, but I believe Nando has genetic issues as his major problem. He only got handled more when his hatch mates left the building and he was alone in a fish tank for a couple weeks. For all his handling, he's not tame at all and runs away when he sees me. Probably thinks I'm going to try to tape his feet again or make him watch more reality TV.. All the others have figured out I'm the treat lady, but he's not convinced...

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I've pretty much handled all my little chicks about the same, not sure how that would stunt their growth, but I believe Nando has genetic issues as his major problem. He only got handled more when his hatch mates left the building and he was alone in a fish tank for a couple weeks. For all his handling, he's not tame at all and runs away when he sees me. Probably thinks I'm going to try to tape his feet again or make him watch more reality TV.. All the others have figured out I'm the treat lady, but he's not convinced...

Handling them won't affect growth rates - play with your birds all you want!

I was given the link to your thread as one of my own babies is growing very slowly and I've read it all from page 1. So happy to see how he's caught up in size and developed!!
smile.png

I'm very happy to have stumbled across the thread about Nan(do). I have 8 chicks that will be 5 weeks old on Wednesday, and are ready to move outside, except one tiny Buff, who I have named Poopsy. Poopsy has had a pasty butt since the day she came home. I've added probiotics to the water, but hasn't made a difference. She is the first one to the treats, and is super quick, darting in and out around the other girls' legs. She is such an adorable little thing, but after reading Nan's story, I'm worried about bringing her outside with the flock, because I don't think she can regulate her body temp. It has been quite a warm summer here in Vermont, however the nights are occasionally dropping down into the 50's. I've worried about her for several reasons - the first being she is still as small as when she was a day old, she totters from side to side when she runs, it's kind of like a waddle, she seems to have an odd bump on her breast, and she ALWAYS has a pasty butt. I noticed you mentioned this issue with Nan, but it seemed as though it was short-lived. Poopsy is like a chick on crack when I throw down some meal worms, and I introduced chick grit last week. I don't know if I should be doing anything else. They have all been on medicated chick feed from the start, and have vitamin/electrolytes added to water. I have 3 Buffs, 2 BPR, and 3 SLW. They do not seem to pick on her at all, and she is quite bold. I have wondered if she's a roo, or if she's a bantam. Any thoughts? Advice? I'm a newbie, so I appreciate any suggestions!

So happy to have found your post. I too have a Runt chick. She is 10 weeks old and 1/3 smaller than her brothers & sister. She was content to be with them and huddling under them until she got out of their pen and was pecked badly by the Laying hens I have 15 of them. I rescued her and put her in a cage inside the house. I did not expect her to live. But she is doing great after being puny for two weeks. Now I am not sure her mates will accept her back? I think I will try today.....they are huge next to her but she is all feathered out as she should be and bigger than Nan. Guess I wil have to bring her inside at night as they are now on their small roost which she would not be able to get on. Although it is Summer, the nights are very cool. She loves her warming light in the cage in the house. Her mates are almost ready to be let loose with the others. I want them all to adjust before winter. But I feel "Little Bit" will not fit in with all the big hens since she is so small. I do have a little Bantum Hen that is not much bigger than her so maybe I should put "Henrietta" with her in the enclosure after letting her mates out with the others? Hum.....I will have to try that.

Quote:
Aww. I'd love to see a picture of your itty bitty. Pasty butt and *micro* seem to be two things that affect little roosters. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little roo as Nando was. I've poured through many threads and they often turn out roosters. Funny. I think time and good care is the only trick. Nando totally stumbled all over when he was little too. I don't know if it's coincidence, but he started to grow bigger when I offered a every other day diet of hard boiled egg, a bit of egg shell, and a vitamin D capsule squeezed on top. On the other days I gave him a couple pellets of Rooster Booster cut up so he could swallow them. His growth took off from there and never stopped. He's nearly as big as his original hatch mates. If your giving vitamins in the water, that is probably good enough. Maybe add some egg?
When I was ready to boot him from the house, I bought a long plastic storage bin, cut a hole in the top for a heat light and cut a door on the side for him to go in and out of. I used a 50watt reptile bulb so he didn't overheat and I locked him in it at night. Didn't get too hot, but was plenty warm to keep him comfortable..Luckily he outgrew that quickly and feathered out enough to join the others.
Good luck with your little!

Back
Top Bottom