Please Help! Baby found out in the cold

CluckinAround1623

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
This little one just hatched last night, when I got home from work today I found her out in the yard without momma. I'm thinking momma took them for a stroll and she got left behind. She is weak and cold, not standing and movements are very slow. Do I put her back with mom? Or keep her inside with a heat lamp? I'm worried the other chicks and momma moving around may harm her unintentionally since she's so weak.

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_184510.jpg
    IMG_20240509_184510.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 27
This little one just hatched last night, when I got home from work today I found her out in the yard without momma. I'm thinking momma took them for a stroll and she got left behind. She is weak and cold, not standing and movements are very slow. Do I put her back with mom? Or keep her inside with a heat lamp? I'm worried the other chicks and momma moving around may harm her unintentionally since she's so weak.
You can warm it with a hair dryer since you probably don't have a warm incubator

Is there a way to make a smaller space for Mama and babies for a couple days so they can't get separated easily?
I have a playpen I'm going to put around the nesting box, none of the other hens use it (if you have advice on how to get them to, i'd appreciate it 😂). It'll give her room to walk around with the babies but not get too far yet.

Update! She is doing much better, her strength is back and she's coming out from under mom. I put the playpen up around them this morning, we'll keep it up a few days to give her time to recoup.

Attachments

• 20240509_205950.jpg
    20240509_205950.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom