My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

mother o' chicks72 :

that is not a silver laced wyandotte, it is a blue laced red or red laced blue wyandotte. can't help with her size problem though
sad.png

I have not read the rest of the posts so sorry if Im repeating something.

We are having the exact same problem with our blue laced red wynadotte. 1 is growing like a weed and the other is STILL a fuzzy butt. They were hatched 8/15. I was worried after a while and called my urban farm store where I got them from and gave sav-a-chick packets (all 3) and sulmet which is a broad spect antibiotic. She is happy, eating, drinking, active, but she is just not growing. Very worried friday because her sister is ready to move to the big coop but cant, I took her to the vet. I was told she will grow eventually or I could put her to sleep. NO way is that an option. I hope yours is growing. Where did you get her from?​

Quote:

We are having the exact same problem with our blue laced red wynadotte. 1 is growing like a weed and the other is STILL a fuzzy butt. They were hatched 8/15. I was worried after a while and called my urban farm store where I got them from and gave sav-a-chick packets (all 3) and sulmet which is a broad spect antibiotic. She is happy, eating, drinking, active, but she is just not growing. Very worried friday because her sister is ready to move to the big coop but cant, I took her to the vet. I was told she will grow eventually or I could put her to sleep. NO way is that an option. I hope yours is growing. Where did you get her from?

theirs grew, he's now a slightly deformed but thriving rooster, they got him day olds to be his friends when his siblings moved outside. it took hima long time to grow but eventually he did. i suggest you do the same. thought i'd sum it up for you.

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:

We are having the exact same problem with our blue laced red wynadotte. 1 is growing like a weed and the other is STILL a fuzzy butt. They were hatched 8/15. I was worried after a while and called my urban farm store where I got them from and gave sav-a-chick packets (all 3) and sulmet which is a broad spect antibiotic. She is happy, eating, drinking, active, but she is just not growing. Very worried friday because her sister is ready to move to the big coop but cant, I took her to the vet. I was told she will grow eventually or I could put her to sleep. NO way is that an option. I hope yours is growing. Where did you get her from?

theirs grew, he's now a slightly deformed but thriving rooster, they got him day olds to be his friends when his siblings moved outside. it took hima long time to grow but eventually he did. i suggest you do the same. thought i'd sum it up for you.​

Mother 0' chicks summed it up. I had one of my broody hens hatch my little guy, but his fertilized egg came from a farm in Canby. It seems most of the chicks that have growth issues end up being roosters. It looks like you're from PDX? One of my chicks from last year turned into a roo from the Urban Farm Store. It happens. Maybe you have a little dude too. Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see them. Just read along my thread for details on what I did for my guy. He caught up in a big way, but it sure took a LONG time. Caught him today having his way with the ladies. My little guy is all grown up *sniff*

Last call for the Nando. He's gotten so gorgeous, his new tail is almost in. He's sweet to his ladies and a total 'beta' rooster. He's not a people chicken though. He prefers to be left alone and still runs when I throw treats, sure I must be trying to peen him with seeds. I just can't keep him. He's been crowing all day long lately and I'm worried he's going to bother the neighbors as much as he's been bothering me.
So far I haven't found the perfect home for him. In an ideal world, he will be able to free range or be in a run by day and be locked into fort knox at night. I prefer he not end up freezer fodder, but at this point....
Does anybody know about de-crowing a rooster? I've heard it can be done. Yikes. Not sure about that, but figure it's worth looking into. Don't know who could do that around here. If there was a way we could keep him, I'd do it.
Anyhoo, here are more pictures from this morning. If anyone has a sweet crib for him, let me know! (and ZooMumzy, your generous offer is still being considered - thank you!)
Here's the dude...
75545_img_0859.jpg

Cock-a-doodle
75545_img_0857.jpg

75545_img_0854.jpg

flap flap
75545_img_0845.jpg

So many colors...
75545_img_0842.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, I had really hoped to keep him too, but roosters and city life just don't jive. I'm doing my best to find him a good home though. Thanks for taking the time to read up on him. Quite a long thread at this point! It's been a journey for sure.

I told my DH about your story with Nando and his crowing being a problem and he told me he used to know a guy who had a roo he wanted to keep, but couldn't. Same situation as yours. So he cut the roo's vocal cords. Very neat little procedure which didn't harm the roo at all, it just made him quiet. So it can be done. Speak to your vet maybe he/she will know how to do it.
Unfortunately there is no way we can get hold of this guy again so we can ask him what he did.
Good luck!!

I looked it up online and it sounds like they don't tolerate sedation well and it can be painful for them. The upshot is I may have found him a fantastic forever home. We are still working out the details, but if it works out, he will have a very happy life.
fl.gif

Been a lurker from the beginning and have never posted just kept up day to day and I must say what a great but bitter sweat story. Sad but happy that you may have found him a home now even after all this he figured out how to crow. No wonder he never laid eggs.
lau.gif
Cute story and thanks for sharing it.

Back
Top Bottom