My little roo's first rainy day

Honeybee22

Songster
May 16, 2017
Southern Idaho
My little cockerel (15-16 weeks) was having an epic freak out about his first real rain today. The girls are totally fine with it, but he was pacing and herding his girlfriend so that she won't go off and get killed by the water falling from the sky. He herds her by pushing under her chest over and over. Kind of looks like when a cat rubs against your leg, but in a frantic way. Poor guy. He did this the first time that he experienced a very windy day too.

He was really just frustrated that all the other girls won't listen to him and come back to the coop! He was calling them with the same sound he uses to tell them he's found food, but the big girls just straight up ignored him. He finally settled down when I went out there and sat with him for a while, but it was interesting and kind of funny while it lasted.

Just wanted to share :)

I went out to try and take a picture and it started to pour. This was good for my Tookie, because all his ladies came running for shelter.

20170918_155333-1.jpg

Happy boy!

(The barred rock is his main squeeze.)

My little cockerel (15-16 weeks) was having an epic freak out about his first real rain today. The girls are totally fine with it, but he was pacing and herding his girlfriend so that she won't go off and get killed by the water falling from the sky. He herds her by pushing under her chest over and over. Kind of looks like when a cat rubs against your leg, but in a frantic way. Poor guy. He did this the first time that he experienced a very windy day too.

He was really just frustrated that all the other girls won't listen to him and come back to the coop! He was calling them with the same sound he uses to tell them he's found food, but the big girls just straight up ignored him. He finally settled down when I went out there and sat with him for a while, but it was interesting and kind of funny while it lasted.

Just wanted to share :)
Funny funny story.

Great story! I remember my hens freaking out on one of their initial free ranging adventures and a big gust of wind came up and they all freaked and ran for the coop or for cover in the yard. Quickly dawned on me that they had never felt wind before!

Back
Top Bottom