My McMurray free "exotic" chick. What is he?

jamie7100

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
First, I'm assuming he's a he because he is the free chick and because he is slower to feather than my others. Anyway - here he is. I tried to find the best lighting in the house last night but he is a bluish grey solid color and has feathered feet. His feet are also bluish grey. My personal guess is black or blue cochin? Thanks for any guesses!!

Just double checked - he has four. He is also the same size (if not bigger) than my other standard sized chicks of the same age. They are brahmas, cochins, orpingtons, speckled sussex, partridge rocks, EEs, blue andaulusians, and cuckoo marans.

Its a blue Cochin. As far as it lagging behind the others in feather development, Cochins are a very slow maturing breed.
BUT, chances are very high that its a boy since it was your free exotic chick. Some lucky duckies get pullets as their free chicks, but mine have always been boys. Cochins are very nice, gentle roosters, I used to have quite a few if them ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'm completely fine with him being a roo. I think he will be lovely and he is already my daughter's favorite of the bunch. She likes him because he is different :)

Back
Top Bottom